Keyword

[SOLVED] Joomla 3.2 K2 2.6.7 Using Wrong Item Alias

• Tim Willford
  • Tim Willford's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago #125007 by Tim Willford
In the process of designing a new template for my employers site, I have set up a separate menu and assigned a the new template to that menu. I also made sure to assign the old template to the old menu so there was no confusion. Well...we have confusion. The problem I am having is that now with the new menu in place, the old menu/template is giving the wrong url alias when viewing an item from a categories blog layout. So for example:

old menu/template url looks like this

categories view:
mydomain.com/local-news/sports/

should point to:
mydomain.com/local-news/sports/4622-article-1

instead points to:

mydomain.com/new-sports/item/4622-article-1

In old-menu parent/childs looks like this

local-news
|_sports
|_|_city-1
|_|_city-2
|_|_city-3

In the new menu sports is a menu root item and looks like this

sports
|_city-1
|_city-2
|_city-3

My K2 Categories are set as follows:

local-news
|_sports
|_|_city-1
|_|_city-2
|_|_city-3

I'm a little bit of a stranger to K2, so what am I possibly doing wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #125008 by Yiota
For the first part where you need the menu url to be mydomain.com/local-news/sports/ but instead it is mydomain.com/new-sports/item/4622-article-1

From the second link I presume that the new-sports is the menu item of the category. In order for it to be local-news you should change its alias from the menu. Then you will need a sub-menu item right below the new-sports menu item that will be called sports and will target the item you currently fetch.

So far it is a menu structure issue.

Now your categories issue is that you don't see the parent category but only the subcategory and so on?

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #125009 by Yiota
Why does you new menu's alias need to be just "news" and you don't also name it "local-news" like you have the old alias? Maybe I'm missing something.

• Tim Willford
More
10 years 7 months ago #125010 by Tim Willford
Replied by Tim Willford on topic Re: Joomla 3.2 K2 2.6.7 Using Wrong Item Alias

Tim Willford wrote: Right, but I have new alias' in the new menu compared to the old menu structure maybe it would be better to show you how i need this to work like this

k2 categoryold menu alias pathnew menu alias path
local-newslocal-newsnews
local-news|_sportslocal-news/sportssports
local-news|_schoolslocal-news/schoolsschools

The exact problem that I am having is that the category view from the old menu is pointing to the alias' of the new menu and ignoring the alias'

Does this make better sense now?

so in otherwords domain.com/local-news/sports/k2-item is ignoring the menu item alias' and sending the viewer to domain.com/news/k2-item which is a problem because the new menu is for the new template which is not ready to go live yet :)

• Tim Willford
More
10 years 7 months ago #125011 by Tim Willford
The reason for the alias change is that we are trying to simply the menu structure. Should be irrelevant to the problem though, I've never had this problem using the joomla core component.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #125012 by Yiota
Are you using a sub-domain or working on the live site itself?

If you are working on the same site it means that you have two menu items pointing to the same category this cannot be avoided. Joomla menu mechanism always fetches the latest menu item (recent ID) pointing to the category as the default menu link to that category and it ignores all other menu items.

• Tim Willford
More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #125013 by Tim Willford
so if i install something like the virtual domain plugin, and work off a subdomain will this give me a work around? Or because I am working off the same installation i will have a problem still?

***SOLVED*** I installed and configured virtual domains and working from a sub domain worked.