Keyword

Comments section compromised and grew to 2 GBs

• chris hoerske
  • chris hoerske's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago #125070 by chris hoerske
Comments section compromised and grew to 2 GBs was created by chris hoerske
It seems the comments table/section of the K2 extension has grown to 2 GBs in size.. I'm 99% sure it's being used to SPAM people.. GoDaddy's control panel will not allow me to backup the MySQL due to the size. I'm going to get a manager to do a manual backup for us. What's the easier way to delete the comments? Maybe a MySQL command? Or should I just delete all blogs?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
10 years 7 months ago #125071 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Re: Comments section compromised and grew to 2 GBs
Perhaps access your database using phpmyadmin and delete the contents in #_k2_comments table? i've not tried this before, just a suggestion.

K2 Rocks \m/

• chris hoerske
More
10 years 7 months ago #125072 by chris hoerske
Replied by chris hoerske on topic Re: Comments section compromised and grew to 2 GBs
This is what I was going to do, however, GoDaddy won't let me make a backup of the MySQL DB due to it's size. I was hoping someone could post the exact instructions I so do it correctly.. I'm trying to get a manager on the phone to allow us to make one backup... It's sad that GoDaddy is making this so difficult..Thus.. Moving a different web host. I don't feel comfortable making manual changes to a DB unless I have a current backup.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
10 years 7 months ago #125073 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Re: Comments section compromised and grew to 2 GBs
It's been ages since i moved away from GD!!

Few methods that i would try..

1. Install akeeba backup and backup the database only, this will give you a sql file.

2. If you can access phpmyadmin, go to #_k2_comments table, click on export and choose sql format and click go.

K2 Rocks \m/

• chris hoerske
More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #125074 by chris hoerske
Replied by chris hoerske on topic Re: Comments section compromised and grew to 2 GBs
I tried MyPHPAdmin but due to GoDaddy's limit it won't export.. It quits about halfway through. I'll try the module you mentioned. How do I make it to where comments are only posted and approved and/or moderated?

Also,

What is I simply delete all of his articles/blogs? Wouldn't that get rid of all comments? Aren't comments bound to articles/blogs? If not..What's the SQL query command to delete ALL records in a specified table? There are over 1.8 million comments.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
10 years 7 months ago #125075 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
You can get the component at www.akeebabackup.com

For the comments

Go to K2 Parameters -> Comments -> Disable the Global setting for comments or set Enable comment auto-publishing to No.

K2 Rocks \m/

• chris hoerske
More
10 years 7 months ago #125076 by chris hoerske
Thanks for the comments setting.. I'll adjust it now.. I found a 'empty' button on MyPHPAdmin that truncates ALL rows for that table. I clicked on that.. The 1.8 million comments are now gone! hahaha.. About to make the change you mentioned.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
10 years 7 months ago #125077 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
:) i was about to ask you to try that. Truncate will actually drop and recreate the table again, if im not mistaken

Glad it worked out ->

maybe you can tell GD, you got it to work by doing this query - "Select finger from hand where id=3 "

K2 Rocks \m/

• chris hoerske
More
10 years 7 months ago #125078 by chris hoerske
hahaha.. GoDaddy can kiss my a**!. They would not make a backup of my DB.. What a pain.. We're moving to my colo server.. I run PHP/MySQL in a virtualized Windows platform.. Works really well.. And.. I manage the site so I won't allow insane settings like auto publish from non-registered users.. hahaha..

Thanks for your help.. I'm new to Joomla and cleaning up someone else's mess...