Keyword

Search results weighting by category [SOLVED..ish]

• Justin Thomas
  • Justin Thomas's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #125449 by Justin Thomas
I am developing a site with K2 (as always B) ) and I am using the tag system as a reference for industry standards. These standards have their own category in K2. What I would really like is for the search results to favour the "standards" category so that the relevant standard comes first then all other related items by date.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #125450 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: Search results weighting by category
Hi. I don't think you can achieve this without programming your own SQL query. If i got it well you need to give priority to items of a specific category to your search results.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Justin Thomas
More
10 years 7 months ago #125451 by Justin Thomas
Replied by Justin Thomas on topic Re: Search results weighting by category

Lefteris Kavadas wrote: Hi. I don't think you can achieve this without programming your own SQL query. If i got it well you need to give priority to items of a specific category to your search results.

Thank you. I thought it might be like that. Category priority would work perfectly. Any hints for an SQL newbie?

More
10 years 7 months ago #125452 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: Search results weighting by category
It's not that easy, i suggest to hire a developer. Hacking K2 core files is not recommended. First of all you will lose your changes in future updates. You need to develop a plugin for that in order to keep your changes after K2 updates. Apart that, thinking of K2 database schema i don't think that this is something that can be done. So instead of doing this, why you don't try to filter search results for specific categories? There is a setting in K2 tools module for that.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Justin Thomas
More
10 years 7 months ago #125453 by Justin Thomas
Replied by Justin Thomas on topic Re: Search results weighting by category
Engaged brain and came up with a fairly fool-proof plan. Ordered tag results to be by latest and have set all the created dates WELL into the future 2022 to be precise. Being that there is only 1 item for each standard they always appear at the top of the page!

Simple and effective....for the next 8 years :)