Keyword

Category not saving inherited parameters

• Dave Maynard
  • Dave Maynard's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago #125500 by Dave Maynard
Category not saving inherited parameters was created by Dave Maynard
Hello,

I have a site that has been operational for about 2 months. I have had the same category structure for that same period. There are six categories, 5 of the categories inherit their parameters from one category. Everything has been working fine until today.

Now suddenly today, one category has lost this setting. It no longer shows that it is inheriting it's parameters from the "designated" category. It returns to default settings.

If I save the category again with the inherited parameters it will appear to be ok. But once I test it on the front end, the category will display once with no problems, but on a second attempt the category appears empty. Any links to items within that category will also show an empty page.

When I go back and check in the admin panel, I see that the category no longer has "parameters inherited" checked.

This only affects this one category.

I have tries to rebuild the category from scratch, but the same result occurs.

I have tried re-naming the category. The same result.

I have tried building a new category with a different name, but this one works fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #125501 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: Category not saving inherited parameters
Hi. This sounds very weird. Try to:

1. Ensure your K2 version is up to date. Currently the latest stable version is 2.6.7.
2. Ensure that your Joomla! version is up to date. It should be either Joomla! 1.5.26, Joomla! 2.5.18 or Joomla! 3.2.2 depending on the major version you are using.
3. Check for third-party K2 or content plugins. Maybe there is a plugin that is updating the category somehow.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Dave Maynard
More
10 years 7 months ago #125502 by Dave Maynard
Replied by Dave Maynard on topic Re: Category not saving inherited parameters
I have checked what you have suggested and tried to disable content & K2 plugins one by one but to no avail.

Is there any chance that you might be able to login the admin side of my site and see what is happening for yourself? I can give you access.

Meantime, I was able to create a new category with a different name and copy the articles to that category. Everything worked fine, but once I renamed the category to the original name "Marketing", the situation reverted back and the problem was present again.

Your help would be most appreciated.

• Dave Maynard
More
10 years 7 months ago #125503 by Dave Maynard
Replied by Dave Maynard on topic Re: Category not saving inherited parameters
Here is a bizarre wrinkle:

1. I created a new category "Marketing Articles"
2. I copied all of the existing articles to this new category.
3. Everything worked fine.
4. I assigned an image and a description to the article.
5. The problem resurfaces.
6. I delete the image and the description.
7. Everything works fine again.

BTW, all other categories on the site have images and descriptions and they work fine.

More
10 years 7 months ago #125504 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: Category not saving inherited parameters
Do you use the latest K2 version? Since this changes when you delete item description and image i believe that has to do with a plugin... Or maybe you have some custom code in your template overrides. Have you tried to switch to the default template? I know this sounds totally irrelevant but sometimes developers may put database queries to template overrides to achieve what they want.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)