Keyword

Meta descr auto-gen even when manually entered

• Elias Ek
  • Elias Ek's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #126334 by Elias Ek
www.studyinsweden.tw
latest K2, latest Joomla 2.5

I think K2 is auto-generating the meta description and keywords even though I have manually written in meta content for each item and category.

I say "think" because maybe another component is doing it?

I installed JoomSEF but that did not solve the problem. JoomSEF can also auto-generate meta tags and when I set it to combine its own auto-genarated tags with the "original", the "original" is not the manually entered tags, but the auto-generated ones from before I installed JoomSEF.

So, is there a way to turn off k2 auto-generation? Anyone have an idea of what else could cause it? To my knowledge I have nothing else but k2 and JoomSEF installed that can auto-generate meta tags.

Any suggestions very much welcome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Elias Ek
More
10 years 6 months ago #126335 by Elias Ek
follow-up

There are no auto-generated meta tags on Joomla articles.

So that would strengthen the argument that it is K2 that is auto-generating meta.

How to make K2 notice that I have already put in my own manual tags and don't need auto-generation?

Thanks,
Elias

• Elias Ek
More
10 years 6 months ago #126336 by Elias Ek
If I comment out line 501-529 in com_k2/views/item/view.html.php, the section marked

// Menu metadata for Joomla! 2.5+ (overrides the current metadata if set)

Then suddenly everything seems to be working as it should. I can see the manually description and keywords entered.

I can also turn on JoomSEF and it can auto-generate the meta if there are none manually entered.

Funny enough, the K2 Parameter setting for character limit for auto-generated meta description still effects the description generated by JoomSEF.

So, I have solved my problem with a hack, but why does this happen? This way I need to re-do this change every time I update K2.

Hope someone can help me figure out what the problem really is.

Thank you very much.

Elias