Keyword

Extra Fields - listings

• Tom
  • Tom's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #126361 by Tom
Extra Fields - listings was created by Tom
Hi there.

Is it possible to set my extra fields as links to a layout where all K2 items with that extra field are displayed? Similar to the tag layout, I suppose.

Also, would it be possible to display a page (list) of all extra fields (perhaps with alphabetical categorisation)?

Many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #126362 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: Extra Fields - listings
Hi. No, unfortunately none of these things can be done with K2 out of the box. You need to either develop an extension or find an existing one with those features.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Tom
More
10 years 5 months ago #126363 by Tom
Replied by Tom on topic Re: Extra Fields - listings
Hi Lefteris,

Apologies for the delay in response.

Keen to crack on and get this developed - would you (or anyone) have any advice as to where to start?

Ultimately, I would want a page where every extra field is listed alphabetically and they are linked. When clicked, the link would go to a blog layout with all items that reference that extra field.

Would also be useful to have the extra fields linked in the item layout in the extra field list at the footer.

Thanks again.

Best, Tom.

More
10 years 5 months ago #126364 by Lefteris
Extra fields are not designed for filtering since they are stored in JSON format in the database and that makes filtering hard and performance effective. However i think that there are some extensions doing this. Have you checked at getk2.org/extend ?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Tom
More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #126365 by Tom
Replied by Tom on topic Re: Extra Fields - listings
I'm not wanting to do any filtering (I've got extensions doing that already!) - what I want to happen, if possible....

I have a list of scholarly articles that have citations (legal cases, legislation) as extra fields. These are listed at the end of the article for referencing purposes.

Some of these citations will appear in more than one article and I would like these to be linked so that a blog layout of all articles containing the citation is produced. Similarly, I would like to index all the extra fields so that I can provide a list of all of them (linked) on a separate page and when clicked, the same blog layout is given.

I know it sounds like tagging would have been a better option, but they're taken up by a different type of referencing and there is (or wasn't) the option to have different categories of tags.

Can't find anything on the extensions repository, either.

I suppose, ultimately, I would like to have these extra fields mimic the tag function - whether that could be coded so that it can be changed from .e.g 'Text Field, Searchable Label' etc. to 'Tag Style' is beyond me, sadly - but I'm willing to learn/ do the hard yards if you can point me in the right direction!

More
10 years 5 months ago #126366 by Lefteris
We are talking about the same thing. This is filtering as i told you so you need to search for an extension. The only thing you can do if you don't want a third-party extension is to use the "Searchable Label" extra fields. Unfortunately in the current version of K2 there is no way to add new extra field types. You can however create a K2 plugin to do this. But this takes us back to the start. So you need to search for an extension doing this or hire a developer to do it for you.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---