Keyword

dividing categories for menu items

• Bysshe
  • Bysshe's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #126813 by Bysshe
dividing categories for menu items was created by Bysshe
:pinch: Hi Im totally stumped at how to sort my categories for my purposes and hope you can help me out with advice.
I have a long list of suppliers in alphabeticlal order on my frontpage of my website. Each supplier in this list is actually the name of a category and a link to that said category. Its great and I don't want it to change.
All these categories have the same parent category - Suppliers. Thats how I was able to get them to show alphabetically.
I also have in my top main menu Regions of the world Europe, Asia, etc., I would like the suppliers to appear under these regions as an alternative way of finding them. I am scared if I start dividing the suppliers up into subcategories of the Regions this will effect the look of my long list on the frontpage and I dont want this. Also I am fearful of creating duplicates as I want users to be able to go straight to a supplier (category) and see all that is going on in that category(supplier) in one click.
It has been suggested I use tags but I really dont know how to do this - use tags as menu items. Please help any advice on where to learn what to do is appreciated.
:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #126814 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: dividing categories for menu items
Hi. You mean that you want them to appear to the menu or to the inner pages? If it's in the menu you can just create menu links. If it is to the inner pages there is no way to cross reference a category from an other category without making a plugin. You also need to clarify what the region page is. Is it a category? An item? Regarding tags you can create menu links to them by following the standard Joomla! procedure. When it comes the time to choose the menu link type just select K2 tag.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Bysshe
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #126815 by Bysshe
Replied by Bysshe on topic Re: dividing categories for menu items
Yes I am using K2.
My regions are not items or categories or anything in particular YET. they are just menu title names with nothing decided what they should be yet.
these title names are my main menu as it is at the moment with no real links working. It is just regions eg Europe Asia USA etc not functioning yet. when Im clear Ill choose what Im advised to make them.

The trouble seems to be that what I want to appear under these menu titles are categories not items. See each of my suppliers is a category all with the same single parent category Suppliers.
N.B. I dont want this to change.

I wonder can I add tags to categories? if so how?

or is it possible to use extra fields for ( the individual Supplier )categories that will make them show up under each region menu title name?
The problem is I just want the supplier category! to show up under each respective region menu title NOT the ITEMS within the category they can been seen once the category is clicked on.
If this is possible where and how do I do it?
any assistance appreciated

More
10 years 6 months ago #126816 by Lefteris
I don't think this can be done the way you want it. The only way i can think to do it as you want is to create a different category tree for regions and then use modules in the supplier pages to display them.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Bysshe
More
10 years 5 months ago #126817 by Bysshe
Replied by Bysshe on topic Re: dividing categories for menu items
Hi Guys I have found a solution by Using the menu Item Text separator like a non-functioning parent category. I made a menu item as a text separator called the name of the region suppliers and then added all the sub categories under each one. Still doing it very labout intensive but atleast I get exactly what I want with out disturbing my single parent category. Thanks for trying to help me. Au revoir

More
10 years 5 months ago #126818 by Lefteris
You are welcome.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---