Keyword

TIME SENSITIVE: Category ordering issues

• David Allen
  • David Allen's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #126923 by David Allen
TIME SENSITIVE: Category ordering issues was created by David Allen
Hi,

I have a client who is using K2, and we are having an issue with category ordering.

This is how my categories are laid out.

1 Recent Adventures - this category contains 1 article, that is a featured article.
2 Our Adventures
6 Pool Sessions
5 International Dives
4 Family Fun
3 Scuba Courses
2 Hiking & Outdoors
1 Local Dives

Now I want my recent adventures category to display first on the category view page. I can do this by setting featured articles to display first, however all articles below that (the ones in our adventures category) are arranged by ID opposed to ordering.

Ive changed the menu to display by Ordering.

However, because local dives, and recent adventures both have #1 as its ordering, it is putting local dives before the recent adventures article on my category view page.

Ive looked for various work arounds to this problem, however the only solution I found was hacking the itemlist.php file, and to my surprise it looks like that hack had already been fixed with my version (code was the same).

How can I can my desired results?

I want my featured article first, and then my our adventures categorys displayed by order underneith

Thanks for your time!

EXAMPLE: You can see here... www.4ddiving.com/our-adventures-club

Featured article = top (that's good), its set to featured article now. But items below are not ordered as i wish. When I set ordering as the option, featured article becomes the first one below, and Local Dives article appears where they featured article is.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #126924 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: TIME SENSITIVE: Category ordering issues
Hi. The only way to have ordering across multiple categories is to use featured items and then featured ordering. If you don't use that and use just regular ordering then the items will come up by category and then by item order. So in your case probably you need to set ordering to "ordering" in the menu link and then just make the "Recent Adventures" category first in the backend by using the ordering buttons.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• David Allen
More
10 years 6 months ago #126925 by David Allen
Replied by David Allen on topic Re: TIME SENSITIVE: Category ordering issues
Okay sorry, I dont quite understand..

So I set my menu item to ordering..., and place my recent adventures as number 1 (Which will be featured).. and then order the other items 2 and below.. however, ill still run into the same issue, because recent adventures was created more recently than local dives, and local dives is part of a category, so recent adventures will default to #2 because the ID is older than local dives.. I believe..

How could I set up featured ordering?

Thanks

• David Allen
More
10 years 6 months ago #126926 by David Allen
Replied by David Allen on topic Re: TIME SENSITIVE: Category ordering issues
PROBLEM SOLVED.

Thanks for your help, for anyone who runs into a similar problem, here is my solution.

I created copy of my recent adventures articles, enough to make it have an unique ID. Then I set the menu or reverse ordering, and made sure my recent adventure article was ordered the highest number, in my case 7. It had no duplicate order numbers. Works. Not the best solution, but it works.

More
10 years 6 months ago #126927 by Lefteris
I am glad you solved it. However my suggestion was different. My suggestion was to use ordering column ( not id ordering ). Then you would get the first category items ordered by ordering, the second category items ordered by ordering etc.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
10 years 6 months ago #126928 by Lefteris
Just to clarify. In order to enable category ordering in administration just sort the categories list ( always in administration ) by the ordering column. Then you will be able to use the ordering icons ( or just drag-n-drop ) to sort categories. The same applies for items. The only difference here is that you also need to filter items by category. Note that all these instructions concern the administration area of K2.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---