Keyword

K2 needs to be responsive!

• Robert_ITMan
  • Robert_ITMan's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #126985 by Robert_ITMan
K2 needs to be responsive! was created by Robert_ITMan
K2 needs to be responsive! I have a responsive template and need the edit item and post new item windows to open according to the device width. It would be best if K2 used new pages or allowed editing in the existing pages as this would save much time and trouble going forward. I really don't want to create new css for the forms and pop up windows - I would rather rewrite the links and use a new form that was standard in the website (not a pop up) ... anyone done this yet?

Failing that I found a work around solution, posted by Jason M., here: getk2.org/community/English-K2-Community/159553-K2-Modal-Window-Size-and-pop-up ... I have added a few notes to make it easier for anyone else needing to do the same:

I'm currently using joomla 2.5.17 + K2 v2.6.8 + JCE Editor 2.3.4.4 (with JCE MediaBox Popups)

First backup your files and database, then download and install and enable both JCE Editor + JCE MediaBox Plugin from here: www.joomlacontenteditor.net

Set JCE as the default editor in joomla global configuration
Check your settings in Joomla Plug-in Manager or on JCE MediaBox Parameters tab (I use popup theme ‘shadow’ as it has the X bottom right)
Check also your JCE profile(s) > Plugin Parameters > Link > Links
> Popups default = JCE MediaBox
> Mediabox Attribute = rel
Check also your JCE profile(s) > Features & Layout > Current Editor Layout so the number of buttons don't make the editor too wide.

Then update the following 6 template files using find & replace from this class="modal" rel="{handler:'iframe' to this class="jcepopup" rel="{handler:'iframe'
/templates/(your template)/html/com_k2/category.php, category_item.php, item.php, itemform.php, user.php
/templates/(your template)/html/mod_k2_user/userblock.php
(if these files don’t exist copy them from the respective /components or /modules templates folders)

Then I solved the problem with the close button not closing the popup by updating the following js script using find & replace from SqueezeBox to this jcepopup (there are 18 occurrences)
/components/com_k2/js/K2.js

Note: items / articles get locked when users use the JCE MediaBox X to close the pop up after opening an item to edit it which is why I use popup theme ‘shadow’ as it has the X bottom right so fewer users will click it instead of clicking the close button... mind you they can just escape or go back or forget all about it ... so there really is no stopping the items from getting locked - not an issue for us as we can just do a global check-in before we need to edit and approve.

What a time consuming work around…! Again, it would be best if K2 used new pages or allowed editing in the existing pages as this would save much time and trouble going forward. I really don't want to create new css for the forms and pop up windows - I would rather rewrite the links and use a new form that was standard in the website (not a pop up) ... anyone done this yet?

www.ourfingertips.ca - websites developed and managed @ ourfingertips

Let me help you make the most of the technology at our fingertips

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #126986 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: K2 needs to be responsive!
Hi. As you might already know, we are already developing K2 v3 and there will be no modal editing there. More on the upcoming version 3 at getk2.org/blog/1792-k2-v268-released-whats-coming-in-v270-a-v3-update . Thank you for your great feedback and commitment.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Robert_ITMan
  • Robert_ITMan's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #126987 by Robert_ITMan
Replied by Robert_ITMan on topic Re: K2 needs to be responsive!
Too many issues with not working and not being responsive ... so we'll hold our breath and hope your next update removes the modal pop-up and that we'll be able to use it and the many features in the future. As it is now we have already invested too much time trying to make the K2 forms responsive and yet we still won't be able to use it now when going live as there is no way a user would be able to create an account and add a new item on their own and think this is a good system. I do have a work around so users can add and edit their content using standard joomla content - which works and looks great in the front end - but means we will need to manually create and add the K2 items for each user ... some of the advantages of this method:
  1. still use K2 features for commenting and rating and categories and all
  2. users can add new items right away (we found 'Add new item' was not available until we made an edit to their profiel?!)
  3. no errors with not selecting category (we found that if they did not select a category or enter their own title alias they got errors and a 404 page?!)
  4. no pop-ups, looks awesome and uses JCE
  5. does not unpublish their items when they submit edits

So fingers crossed you can address all these issue before we get busy as we won;t be able to manually add and edit everything for everyone when we start getting busy.

www.ourfingertips.ca - websites developed and managed @ ourfingertips

Let me help you make the most of the technology at our fingertips

More
8 years 10 months ago #148830 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Re: K2 needs to be responsive!
Hi,

Thanks for the tip. It is working with only one issue.

When a user clicks add an item on user page, the popup gives navigation with all the past articles as well.

How to get rid of the navigation?

Thanks

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 10 months ago #148851 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: K2 needs to be responsive!
This is not put there by K2. K2's modal does not have navigation.
This modal is generated from a 3rd party extension.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)