Use same k2 tag in multilingual website

• ATHANASIOS ILIOPOULOS
  • ATHANASIOS ILIOPOULOS's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #127007 by ATHANASIOS ILIOPOULOS
Use same k2 tag in multilingual website was created by ATHANASIOS ILIOPOULOS
Guys,

i have the following configuration:

website in 2 languages: English & Russian (default is English)

One K2 category (e.g. Cat1), set for ALL languages
Many K2 items in this category, set for ALL languages
One k2 extra field group with multiple extra fields assigned to this category
One category k2 template (e.g. category_template), assigned to this category

I am also using 2 k2 tags (e.g. Tag1, Tag2) on the k2 items for selecting and displaying them with different style in some areas of my web site. For these i have setup 2 menu items (for each language) which filters out k2 items for Cat1 with tags Tag1 & Tag2 respectivelly.

I have also setup two additional template overrides for each tag (e.g. template_Tag1, template_Tag2) ...

So lets say i have 3 different menu items for each language:

- K2 Category View [EN] (category_template)
- K2 Tag1 View [EN] (template_Tag1)
- K2 Tag2 View [EN] (template_Tag2)

- K2 Category View [RU] (category_template)
- K2 Tag1 View [RU] (template_Tag1)
- K2 Tag2 View [RU] (template_Tag2)

When i switch views in my default language everything works fine! List views are changed according to templates selected in each menu item.

BUT when i switch views in Russian, category view works OK but tag views does not switch rather then the first TAG view visited is always shown .... even if i switch between Tags (menu items) ...

So if i visit first - K2 Tag1 View [RU] and then - K2 Tag2 View [RU], the template template_Tag1 is always enabled ...

Any ideas why? Do i have to use different TAGs for each language?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #127008 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: Use same k2 tag in multilingual website
Hi. Yes you have to use different tags for each language since tags cannot be translated. One thing you can try to do is to use menu links to categories instead of tags for displaying items in different styles. To select a template from the menu link K2 requires to select more than one categories. To overcome this you can create a dummy empty category and select it along with the desired category in the menu link settings.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• ATHANASIOS ILIOPOULOS
More
10 years 6 months ago #127009 by ATHANASIOS ILIOPOULOS
Replied by ATHANASIOS ILIOPOULOS on topic Re: Use same k2 tag in multilingual website
Thanks Lefteris,

unfortunately i do not think i can follow the workaround suggested since some of the items of Cat1 are of type Tag1 or type Tag2 ... So the only options here i guess are:

a) have different Tags for each language (e.g. Tag1_EN, Tag1_RU, Tag2_EN, Tag2_RU) and assign two tags per case (Tag1 -> Tag1_EN & Tag2_RU). I hope this is going to work in my case!

b) use some extension which gives the option for multicategory assignment to a k2 item and then implement your suggestion

However i think it could be a great addition to ADD TRANSATION to:

K2 TAGS
K2 extra field groups as also to K2 extra fields (labels & values)

I am using k2 in many multilanguage sites with alot of extra fields/groups and localization is an issue.

Thanks though for your answer

More
10 years 6 months ago #127010 by Lefteris
You are welcome. Thanks for your feedback.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• ATHANASIOS ILIOPOULOS
More
10 years 5 months ago #127011 by ATHANASIOS ILIOPOULOS
Replied by ATHANASIOS ILIOPOULOS on topic Re: Use same k2 tag in multilingual website
Hello again!

unfortunately i can not get my tag listings to get dispayed correctly even if i use different Tags for each language!

If i de-active SEF (mod_rewrite) URLs, tag listings (different tags + templates) are displayed correctly in my secondary language BUT if i try to turn on SEF urls then the problem described in my initial post persists!

Any ideas on how to fix this?

More
10 years 5 months ago #127012 by Lefteris
Which Joomla! version are you using? Make sure that you renamed the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess before you enable URL rewrites.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• ATHANASIOS ILIOPOULOS
More
10 years 5 months ago #127013 by ATHANASIOS ILIOPOULOS
I am using Joomla 3.2.3

I have rename and i am using .htaccess with success!

The problem is that all URLs that correspond to menu items of k2 tag listings in my secondary language does not seem to work properly.

More specifically if i access menu_item_russian_1 (tag1_RU, template1_RU) the content as also the template is loaded FINE!

Subsequently if i access menu_item_russian_2 (tag2_RU, template2_RU) the content which is loaded is the one corresponding to menu_item_russian_1 ...

If i switch OFF SEF urls, everything works fine!

If you would like i could pm you my site URL/backend access because this seems to be a bug maybee?

More
10 years 5 months ago #127014 by Lefteris
Are the menu links pointing to the same tag? You cannot have two menu links pointing to the same tag. Joomla! will always resolve the first one to the tag URL. You cannot send me PM but you can write the URL of the site here so i can have a "live" demonstration of the issue.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---