Keyword

Shorten title length all title items

• keichi
  • keichi's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 5 months ago #127894 by keichi
Shorten title length all title items was created by keichi
Hi everyone.

Lets suppose an article with a long title , i.e. "John Doe, His Life, His Work, His Expectations and His Writings"

I'd like display the following title "John D, His Life,....." in all layout&view (categories, users, tag, etc).. I need display all titles cause, other way break my desing.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #127895 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: Shorten title length all title items
Hi. There is no automatic way to do this. You need to write some code. There are two ways:

1. Using CSS. You can use the "text-overflow" rule. Details can be found at developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/text-overflow .

2. Using PHP. You will have to create overrides for K2 templates. First read getk2.org/documentation/tutorials/174-templating-with-k2-and-the-concepts-of-sub-templates to get familiar with K2 templates. Then you will be able to use something like that:
<?php echo K2HelperUtilities::characterLimit($this->item->title, 10); ?>

Note that this example refers to the item.php layout. Code for other layouts should be similar.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• keichi
  • keichi's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 5 months ago #127896 by keichi
Replied by keichi on topic Re: Shorten title length all title items

Lefteris Kavadas wrote: Hi. There is no automatic way to do this. You need to write some code. There are two ways:

1. Using CSS. You can use the "text-overflow" rule. Details can be found at developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/text-overflow .

2. Using PHP. You will have to create overrides for K2 templates. First read getk2.org/documentation/tutorials/174-templating-with-k2-and-the-concepts-of-sub-templates to get familiar with K2 templates. Then you will be able to use something like that:

<?php echo K2HelperUtilities::characterLimit($this->item->title, 10); ?>

Note that this example refers to the item.php layout. Code for other layouts should be similar.

Hi, thanks a lot.
Where do I need to put this code, I mean, before or after which line inside the category layout?

More
10 years 4 months ago #127897 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: Shorten title length all title items
@keichi

This depends on you. You need to place it wherever you want the title to be displayed. If you don't want to change the current position of the title just place it where your current title is.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)