Keyword

K2 menu item -> latest items in category problem

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #131486 by Jon
I've migrated over to K2 and had been displaying all of the articles in a category as one menu item, "Recordings" in the left side menu found here medpants.com/music . I switched it to menu item type K2 -> Latest items from (one or more) users or categories, and to a degree it has worked, but the menu link brings up a 404 page.

I say that it has worked to a degree because even though the link in the menu doesn't work, every pointer to it does. The random linked images that appear at the bottom of the page correctly link to a recordings page which is a list of items from the recording category - but the link is set up to point to the menu item.

Even more interestingly, before I made the switch to the new menu item type, the linked image that pointed to the menu item didn't work - so updating it to the correct type fixed the image link pointer, even though the menu item link itself is dead.

To be clear, the menu item link on the music page resolves to medpants.com/recordings/ , whereas the image link (which points to the menu item) resolves to medpants.com/recordings/itemlist/category/17

Is there a way to get them both to point to the correct one? I've already tried rebuilding the menu, but would the page still exist if the menu item wasn't established? In other words, is it possible for me to set the menu item to a fixed link and just point both of them to medpants.com/recordings/itemlist/category/17 ?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 1 month ago #131487 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: K2 menu item -> latest items in category problem
Hello Jon,

The menu structure on K2 works exactly the same as the default articles.
However you need to use the K2 Categories menu item instead of the latest items by user/category.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
10 years 1 month ago #131488 by Jon
Setting the menu item type to K2 -> Category makes all links refer to the nonexistent medpants.com/recordings/ .... so it seems to be a net gain to use the latest items choice.

I don't think I'm missing a setting... could this be something in the category setup or something that's causing the problem?

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 1 month ago #131489 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: K2 menu item -> latest items in category problem
The menu structure is causing the issue.You should make a clean start by deleting all your menu items.

Then map all your K2 categories into seperate menu items. The main K2 link (homepage, blog/news page) can have content from all the categories.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
10 years 1 month ago #131490 by Jon
Perfect, didn't realize there had to be a seperate menu for the categories. In case it helps someone else, what I've got is a menu with the K2 Categories menu item type setup to show the category, but the menu does not have a visible location on the site. Then the clickable item in the other menu (the visible one) is a menu item alias to the invisible menu choice in the categories menu.

Thanks again!

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 1 month ago #131491 by Krikor Boghossian
You 're welcome Jon :)

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---