Keyword

Front End, User Generated Item Submission

More
10 years 5 days ago #132416 by Joe
Hi,

I'm a newbie to K2 and am just after a few pointers or links to further reading that may help me out with what I am trying to achieve.

I have used Joomla 3.3 and K2 2.68 to create a test website. When 'live' I would like visitors to my website to be able to submit K2 'Items' but these are not published until I proof read and authorise them. I thought the way to achieve this would be to only allow front end editing for one specific user, say 'TEST-USER' that has the ability to edit only 1 specific 'item' that has been set up as a kind of template article. So far my 'TEST-USER' can edit the original item/article but only has the permission to save this original item and overwrite it. Is there a way for a new item to be created and the original template left as is? Also, is it possible to limit this ability to just one item.

I have created a user and when my user logs into 'edit mode' it says at the top they have these particular permissions '

'K2_YOU_ARE_ALLOWED_TO Add items, Edit own items, Edit any item, Publish items, Allow editing of already published items'

Or is a better way to achieve my aim (more secure, or easier to set up) to create a form (using something like www.wufoo.com), that users fill in and then this would save the comleted form contents to a table somewhere. I would then have to copy/paste the form contents into my template item. (or is there a way of automatically propogating form contents to a table)

I'd be extremely grateful for any ideas, links to further reading or general advice on which is the best route to take and how best to achieve this.

Thanks again,

Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 4 days ago #132417 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Front End, User Generated Item Submission
Hello Joe,

When a user edits an item, the same item is edited and new one cannot be created.
You can limit users per category but not per the count of items.

If you want more options you have to look for an extension at the JED or getk2.org/extend

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
10 years 4 days ago #132418 by Joe
Thanks for your prompt reply Krikor.

I will have to have a look at the K2 extensions then if K2 doesn't have something inbuilt already.

It's a pity that you cannot create a template article and make it front end editable and then allow users to log in as that user and edit the article and save it as a new article. That kind of feature would of been ideal for me.

If I don't find something suitable then I'm going to have to go down the form submission route to something like Google Forms or Woofof so that I can at least save the data and then at a later date cut and paste into a new article.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 3 days ago #132419 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Front End, User Generated Item Submission
You can override the itemform.php file and add your own data as a template.
Even better you can add a link to documentation.

You can read here about overrides: getk2.org/documentation/tutorials/174-templating-with-k2-and-the-concepts-of-sub-templates

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)