Keyword

Category List Items to Link to Items in Categories

• Timothy Michel
  • Timothy Michel's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #133009 by Timothy Michel
I have a category "declassify28" that is the parent to several children like "Commentary," Resources (Print)," "Resources (Video)," etc. "Declassify28" is Menu Item Type "Category" and the children, "Commentary," "Resources (Print)," "Resources (Video)," etc. are Menu Item type "Item." Each of the children are linked to an Item of category corresponding to their Menu Item name. In other words "Commentary" is linked to an item "Amazing Effort for 9/11 Truth Emerging in Congress!" which is of category "declassify28->commentary" and "Resources (Print)" is linked to an item"Print Resources" which is of category "declassify28->print-resources, etc.

When I click on a menu item like "Commentary" I go to a page that has the article "Amazing Effort for 9/11 Truth Emerging in Congress!." When I click on Declassify28, I go to a category item list page which has the intros to all the children listed. When I click on the "View Items" link for say "Resources (Print), I go to a page that has the intro text but displays no items like "Amazing Effort for 9/11 Truth Emerging in Congress."

What I am looking for is a behavior where when I click on a sub-menu item or I click on the "View Items" at the bottom of the "Commentary" in the list of intros on the Declassify28 category page, that I in both cases go to the article directly.

Please see www.911truthoutreach.org/ and click on the Declassify28 link in the navigation bar and then click on one of the items in the category list, and then hover over the Declassify28 menu item on the nav bar and then click on the corresponding item in the drop-down sub-menu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #133010 by Lefteris
Hi. You cannot go directly to the item page by clicking a link of a category page. If you want your submenu links to point to an item you need to edit those menu links and make them point to a single K2 item.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Timothy Michel
  • Timothy Michel's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #133011 by Timothy Michel
Replied by Timothy Michel on topic Re: Category List Items to Link to Items in Categories
I think I solved my own problem, each of the items aren't of category declassify-28pages I created categories for each of the items thinking that each of these items would end up being sections that would have multiple items. So maybe this is the problem, Rather than a page of item intros being generated, perhaps what is happening is that a page of categories who's parent is declassify-28pages is being generated with the descriptions of the categories displayed which are essentially the same as the intros to the articles/items. If I would make each item have category declassify-28pages, then I would get the behavior I am looking for ??

Here is the correct hierarchy

declassify-28pages (K2 Category) -> commentary (K2 Category) -> commentary (K2 Item)
declassify-28pages (K2 Category) -> print-resources (K2 Category) -> print-resources (K2 Item)
declassify-28pages (K2 Category) -> video-resources (K2 Category) -> video-resources (K2 Item)
declassify-28pages (K2 Category) -> web-resources (K2 Category) -> )web-resources (K2 Item)
declassify-28pages (K2 Category) -> why-it-matters (K2 Category) -> why-it-matters (K2 Item)
declassify-28pages (K2 Category) -> call-to-action (K2 Category) -> call-to-action (K2 Item)
declassify-28pages (K2 Category) -> the-resolution (K2 Category) -> the-resolution (K2 Item)
declassify-28pages (K2 Category) -> sample letters (K2 Category) ->sample letters (K2 Item).

This is where I am running into to the problem, because even though the menu item Decalssify28 is menu item type K2 Categories, and each of the items have a parent category of declassify-28pages, they also have sub-categories that are unique to each item and the only reason I get that page listing all hte items is because I checked "Fetch items from children categories" in the menu options. Hence clicking on an item in Declasify28 page will send me to another category-list-item page populated with the intro for that one item in that category. And clicking on that category item takes me to the page with the full article displayed.

So I guess if I want to do this, I have to go in and manually change the links as you suggested, or change everything to category declassify-28pages. Yes?? unpublish the individual item categories for now and then if we decide to expand that section just re-publish those item categories and make each of those pages category-list-item pages with the full expectation that the category descriptions will be displayed and that clicking on an item will take the user to another category-list-item page with with all the items intros for the items with that category..

I think I get it now, Thanks. - IGNORE THE REST - It is what I wrote before thinking this through.

commentary, print-resources, video-resources, web-resources, why-it-matters, call-to-action, the-resolution, sample-letters, are all and each items with category declassify-28pages. and they have URLs like: www.911truthoutreach.org/declassify-28pages/content/907-sample-letters.html

Maybe I should set this up as something different than having: declassify-28pages as a menu item type -> K2 Category with each of the K2 items appearing in the category-list-item page generated by the deslassify-28pages K2-Category page. I would think that set up like this, clicking on Declassify-28pages in the navigation bar would bring up a page of article intros that have category declassify-28pages and clicking on the title or image of the article intros would take the user to the article and not a category-item-list page. I would think that the article intros are only for the category-item-list page. For instance there is no category sample-letters, it is just an item associated with the category declassify-28pages, not a K2-Category menu item. If I link to the items directly, a page is generated with the full text of the item, not a category-list-item page with just the intro text displayed with links to the actual article.

What am I missing here? I shouldn't have to manually create links.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 11 months ago #133012 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Category List Items to Link to Items in Categories
I think the solution you proposed first (as Lefteris also did )is the ideal one.
You need to restructure your menu. Change your links to K2 items and when you have more content, change them back to K2 categories.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Timothy Michel
  • Programming is a lot of work
More
9 years 10 months ago #133943 by Timothy Michel
Replied by Timothy Michel on topic Re: Category List Items to Link to Items in Categories
A belated thank you very much.

Open Source rules. Just ask William Binney or Jacob Appelbaum.

I will never use a commercial product again.

Thanks, Tim

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 10 months ago #133987 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Category List Items to Link to Items in Categories
You are welcome Timothy :)

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---