Keyword

k2-categories in URLs

More
9 years 3 months ago #145163 by Wendy
k2-categories in URLs was created by Wendy
I am rebuilding a Joomla site that originally had the K2 extension installed. Although I experimented with the K2 features (but found they didn't give me the results I needed), the only part of the extension that was finally used was the Media Manager (which is much better than the Joomla one). However, even with everything but the most essential parts of K2 disabled, I found that I kept getting "k2-categories" inserted into the URLs of the forms I had built using another 3rd party extension. I tried to fix it and couldn't, so I completely uninstalled it from the rebuilt site and the problem resolved on the new site.

Now I have migrated a lot of forms over to the rebuilt site from the original site, BUT even though I do not have K2 installed at all in the rebuilt site, I'm suddenly getting k2-categories inserted in some of the URLs. Even when I create a form from scratch and link to it form the Joomla Menu, it insists on putting this in the URL.

I've searched the K2 forum but haven't seen any explanation other than "another extension must be the cause." However, there is no reason that k2-anything should be showing up on the rebuilt site, since it is not even installed. Somehow it has contaminated the form extension on the original site so that it brings this over when I upload the forms to the new site. I don't understand how or why the form extension should grab anything from K2 since the forms don't use any of its features; nor is anything about K2 (intentionally) active on the original site -- as I said, it's only used for the Media Manager and all other features were disabled. It is as if K2 is reaching beyond (what should be) its proper bounds, into a global area of Joomla programming that is shared by other extensions, which means other extensions grab some K2 code in their use of that common area. (if that makes sense)

I would love to install K2 on the rebuilt site so that the Media Manager could be used, but with it contaminating URLs that's not possible. As it is, with it intruding into URLs on the new site, even though it's not even installed there, I may be faced with having to reinstall the form extension and redo all the forms from scratch...assuming I can weed out whatever is causing the problem on the new site.

Can you folks please comment about this? I see others have reported similar problems, so this isn't just me.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 3 months ago #145201 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic k2-categories in URLs
K2 uses Joomla!'s way of building URLs.
Also if K2 is not installed there is no way it can affect your system, you are probably seeing urls generated from your menu items.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
9 years 3 months ago #145211 by Wendy
Replied by Wendy on topic k2-categories in URLs
Hi Krikork,

Thanks very much for replying.

This new site started out as a clone of the original site which had (and still has) K2 installed. The clone site is a totally separate installation though. I uninstalled K2 from the clone site after it was created, so it should not contain there anymore K2 code in any form, correct? And yet it does.

I thought it might be something that the form software was holding onto, so I uninstalled it completely, deleted all menu links to the old forms, cleared the Joomla cache and did a fresh install from scratch. Created a brand new form to test it and linked it into the menu system. And.... the "k2-categories" is STILL in the URL. How is this even possible??

Wendy

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 3 months ago #145212 by Krikor Boghossian
Check any 3rd party SEO extensions or your menu structures.
By default we do not create menu items. The menu structure is completely up to the user.
So what you are seeing is not a part of K2. If there are any K2 related extensions left, you should remove them as well.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #145216 by Wendy
Replied by Wendy on topic k2-categories in URLs
Hi Krikor,

There are no SEO extension on the site. And there are no K2-related extensions. I looked in extensions, plugins, modules. I remember seeing a couple a while back but took them out. No longer installed; not just disabled.

At your suggestion to look at the menu system, I tried creating a new menu to test the form link. I embedded the menu in an Article, and linked the Article into the Main Menu system. And... the article link has the same string! So it's not just the forms that this problem is happening with, and therefore it may have little or nothing to do with the forms extension as such.

I appreciate that what I am seeing may not be an (intentional) part of K2, but that's the only place this could have come from originally. No software (3rd party extension or core Joomla) is going to come up with a URL string like "k2-categories" at random. It may or may not be part of K2, as such, but it must have come from K2 originally when it was installed in some way. Somehow the K2 code seems to have leaked into the rest of the installation and uninstalling it doesn't remove it.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Wendy. Reason: clarity

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 3 months ago #145227 by Krikor Boghossian
The code cannot leak.
Also we never use this menu item nor create menu items.

I have seen this issue in the past www.joomlaworks.net/forum/k2-en/40975-k2-categories-k2-tags-in-url#142754 but the user never replied.

If you are using a commercial template, you can ask the template's dev about this issue.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---