Keyword

The Future of K2

• Scott Oman
  • Scott Oman's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #146612 by Scott Oman
The Future of K2 was created by Scott Oman
Dear JoomlaWorks and K2 Community,

I am new to K2. (I know, you are probably thinking, how is that possible?) See, I just got around to migrating my content from a Joomla 1.5 site to 3.+. The update and redesign of my site is going fairly well, and I'm pleased with the functionality of K2. Essentially I still prefer K2 over the Joomla core article management system, even though it now utilizes tags, because K2 also contains a nice comments feature and basically eliminates my need for Community Builder — though I may integrate K2 and CB together at a later date.

The thing is, I'm concerned K2 might not get upgraded for future Joomla versions, such as for Joomla 4, 5, etc... If that's the case, I would much prefer to just deal with the issue now by relying completely on the Joomla core system. (In the past I ran into a problem with one extension I was using to run my site. It was "the" main component and later wasn't upgraded by the developer. This really caused a huge problem: why I didn't get around to updating my site to Joomla 3.+ until now.)

Can you please tell me if I should be worried about K2 not being upgraded for use in future Joomla installs? What are the plans for the future of K2? Some information on the topic or reading material would be useful and much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!
Scott

PS. I'm new, so please don't mind my ignorance if this issue has already been discussed at length or is totally obvious to others.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Scott Oman. Reason: sometimes my grammar sucks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Franz Wohlkönig
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 1 month ago #146616 by Franz Wohlkönig
Replied by Franz Wohlkönig on topic The Future of K2
Hi Scott,

nobody can say, what about Joomla 4 or 5 and depending Extensions. I think you gave yourself the correct Answer: You have Reasons to take k2 now.

In the next few Month more about k2v3: www.joomlaworks.net/blog/item/259-k2-v3-0-to-be-officially-unveiled-in-joomladay-brasil-2015

Regards

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 1 month ago #146636 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic The Future of K2
Hello Scott,

Rest assured that K2 will support all future major version of Joomla!.
As for the plans for the future you might want to take a look at v3 which will be introduced in September.
www.joomlaworks.net/blog/item/259-k2-v3-0-to-be-officially-unveiled-in-joomladay-brasil-2015

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Scott Oman
  • Scott Oman's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #146651 by Scott Oman
Replied by Scott Oman on topic The Future of K2
That's great news. Thanks very much for the 'update' and information provided, Krikor.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 1 month ago #146671 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic The Future of K2
You 're welcome Scott :)

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)