Keyword

Make user author page with articles pointing to other items

• Uber Gruber
  • Uber Gruber's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #146648 by Uber Gruber
Hello there!
So the title is a bit confusing and I don't know how to put it better, so I'll explain a bit more the situation.
I'm working on a project for a magazine. The website will have an "Archive" category with each item corresponding to a number of the magazine. As you can guess, each magazine issue is composed by several articles from various authors.

The client asked me to have the possibility that each author has a page with an index of every article wrote in any magazine issue. Nothing fancy so far. A normal site with items composed by each author would have been an easy task.
The problem rising here is that actually none of these articles exist as a K2 item! The client wants that every article should point to the Magazine item in the “Archive” category where the user can download the .pdf file of the whole number. Look at the image below for more details on the author page example.

Not only that, the client also asked for tags with each article, and possibly to filter the various articles in each author page based on a quick filter search that will include either words in the title or the tags of the article.

While I’m quite confident with the Joomla CMS, I’m not very skilled with the K2 CCK. I know its possible to have tags and stuff for each article and so on, but dunno how to actually handle this “non existence” of the articles themselves!

My first thought was to create an item for each article (with title, image, tags and so on), then thanks to the new implemented redirect Joomla component, have bulks of redirections for each article to the proper Magazine Issue, or create a rewrite rule in .htaccess .

I’m wondering tho if this is a proper solution and if there isn’t anything else I can do, more efficient and less error prone.
Also is the article filter thing possible? Even if there are several pages of results? An ajax filter maybe? Is there any module or plugin you know to work well with K2?

Thank you for any suggestion and support!
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Uber Gruber. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Uber Gruber
More
9 years 1 month ago #146649 by Uber Gruber
I can't tell why, but I can't edit my post to show the image I mentioned above! so here it is:

File Attachment:

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 1 month ago #146684 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Make user author page with articles pointing to other items
The K2 Filter module is popular within the community. I have not used it personally but it seems like a solid module and their support is responsive.

As for the non-existence of these items, I think this is the only solution. Having an htaccess redirect solution. If you use an extrafield as an alternate link and print that link instead of the item;s link, Google might still be able to crawl this item. This is something that you obviously don't want.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Uber Gruber
More
9 years 1 month ago #146693 by Uber Gruber
Thank you for your answer!
Which one of these two is the one you mean? (they have very similar names and functions for what I can see)
extensions.joomla.org/extension/filter-and-search-for-k2
extensions.joomla.org/extension/filter-for-k2

As you tell I think I will go with the .htaccess rewrite rule way!

Btw I was wondering about the new realease of K2 v3. The new version is going to break something with the old 2.x settings? What about template views overrides and so on, is there something that I should consider before going on with some customizations on my actual project?

Also is the Brazil Conf in September the official release date for v3? or is just "a presentation" with maybe an ETA?

Thank you for your help, hope these last questions aren't much off topic!

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 1 month ago #146715 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Make user author page with articles pointing to other items
I think the second although I am not 100% sure.

As for v3, backwards compatibility is always a huge concern.
v2 templates will work for v3. I am not sure however about older template frameworks or 3rd party extensions.

To keep my answer short, what you do in your K2 templates will function in K2 v3 as well.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Uber Gruber
More
9 years 1 month ago #146769 by Uber Gruber
I see, no worries then!
Thanks a lot for your time and support, very appreciated! ;)

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 1 month ago #146773 by Krikor Boghossian
You 're welcome :)

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---