Keyword

Bug in recent version of K2 2.7.0 builds - allows same alias

• John Dunstan
  • John Dunstan's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #147275 by John Dunstan
Hello,

Sorry if this is not in the right place, but here I go:

I have been using the K2 2.7.0 version as it has fixes for bugs in k2 2.6.9 that i need fixed for my clients.

The bug below my client picked up on:

In K2 Articles, my client had created 8 K2 items, ALL with the same K2 Item Title. 7 were in trash and 1 was in the normal K2 items list.

The issue, is that all 8 k2 items, had the same / identical 'alias'....Which as you know, no item/article/etc should be allowed to have the same 'alias'.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #147278 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Bug in recent version of K2 2.7.0 builds - allows same alias
In Joomla! you can have the same alias in two items. The items are differentiated from their ID. This is why the id is present in the URLs.

When no id is used (if you are using K2's advanced SEF) then this could lead to a potential error since there is no way of telling which item is which.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• John Dunstan
  • John Dunstan's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #147356 by John Dunstan

Krikor wrote: In Joomla! you can have the same alias in two items. The items are differentiated from their ID. This is why the id is present in the URLs.

When no id is used (if you are using K2's advanced SEF) then this could lead to a potential error since there is no way of telling which item is which.

Please let me clarify a little further....

We shouldn't be able to create a K2 item with the same alias IF its in the 'same category' as another K2 item with the same alias. If they are in different categories, then this is ok....This is how Joomla works (Joomla either doesnt let us create a menu item for example and shows an error message, or with Joomla Articles it ads -1 to the end of the alias).

There are plenty of people (clients) who use Joomla and K2, and these people don't know basic web let alone how joomla handles SEF URL's....Plus, I could assume these type of people would contact Joomlaworks asking for help not knowing that the issue is just what they did not a big as such.

Not allowing people to create K2 items in this scenario would surely be a good idea, even if its just to reduce the amount of support requests Joomlaworks gets.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #147371 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Bug in recent version of K2 2.7.0 builds - allows same alias

Joomla either doesnt let us create a menu item for example and shows an error message, or with Joomla Articles it ads -1 to the end of the alias

This is not actually Joomla!, it is an extension throwing an error or you are using the same alias in two menu items.

As for the SEF, by default there is no issue. Even if you install sh404sef or K2's advanced K2 SEF. The only issue is if strip the id from the pattern and use identical aliases.

To be honest I would think that automatically changing the alias, changing a behaviour which is there for years it could lead to exact opposite result.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)