Keyword

where to go from here?

• Sezai Ercan
  • Sezai Ercan's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #148968 by Sezai Ercan
where to go from here? was created by Sezai Ercan
Hi there,

I have installed k2, worked a bit with it, made it work, well, at least to a certain degree.
Now, after giving myself a severe headache, I have a few questions:

1 - I am totally happy with the way my homepage looks, when it comes to general look and the modules, but the main content/blog part sucked, so I learned about k2, now the problem is: how do I make it look a bit better?

2 - is it possible to give the main content/blog the look of a different template? I mean a complete different template, because some templates don't look good themselves, but have nicely designed blog parts

3 - what I want to do, the most, is to give every new item it's own 'block' so it is divided by some space before the next item starts, like this:
example
What I mean is the look of the left column, I would also like to get rid of the small column on the right.

(I hope it's ok I link to there, I couldn't find another example real quick)

I will have 2 very text oriented blogs, reading and writing, and I think the look on the page I linked to would be ideal, colors etc. are not important, just that every post has it's own container, with spaces between them. No matter what I tried, I cannot get a look that's even close. If I would be able to do this, I would be totally done and in heaven.

I have now a very poor looking blog try, this is what it looks like:
bad example from my homepage

I don't expect for anyone to do all the work for me, just point me in the right direction if possible. I can understand most stuff, just not the php code. I have really visited many many tutorial sites, but they all keep repeating the same info, which they obviously took from here, and keep posting without clarifying anything.

Thanks for your time.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Sezai Ercan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 10 months ago #148970 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic where to go from here?
Actually, all of these are mostly CSS/ HTML edits.
You can see here how to override K2's templates and how to work with multiple subtemplates. www.joomlaworks.net/blog/item/194-k2-inheritance-sub-templating

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Sezai Ercan
More
8 years 10 months ago #148971 by Sezai Ercan
Replied by Sezai Ercan on topic where to go from here?
I have gone through that page a few times. My joomla installation didn't have a html/com_k2 folder. So I created one and copied over the other folders from components/k2 as instructed. I have renamed the new folder to 'reading'.

Now I can go into k2 backend and when I create a new category, I can choose the 'reading' sub template as is explained by the tutorial. So far so good.

But what now? I guess I need to give this 'reading' sub-template a cool look, but how? Where do I start? Most changes I make aren't even visible. For example, I tried to make the photo in the single article much smaller and go to the left, so the text wraps around it in the right. It looks terrible as it is.
single article
But the changes I make don't seem to affect the front-end look. If you could give me a few tiny hints, I could pick it up from there.

Thanks again for your time.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 10 months ago #148973 by Krikor Boghossian
It basically custom coding. It is too much of a big subject to analyse on a forum thread. I would however advise you to download of our free templates to see how our overrides are built.

You can get them from here: www.joomlaworks.net/joomla-templates/free-templates

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Sezai Ercan
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #148974 by Sezai Ercan

Krikor wrote: It basically custom coding. It is too much of a big subject to analyse on a forum thread.

I understand. Just one tiny question if you would allow me, where do I do the custom coding, in the joomla/k2 backend or outside the backend (in a php or css or html file)? That's all I need to know at this point.

But for now I will do as you suggest and take a look at the free templates to learn from there.

Thank you very much for your help.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Sezai Ercan.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 10 months ago #148975 by Krikor Boghossian
These would be the files mentioned in the tutorial.
Another resource for these files would be: getk2.org/documentation/tutorials/174-templating-with-k2-and-the-concepts-of-sub-templates

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Sezai Ercan
More
8 years 10 months ago #148976 by Sezai Ercan
Ok. Thank you very much for your help.

By the way, I have visitied some joomla template selling sites and didn't see your templates there. I might just as well buy your templates with full k2 functionality and be done with it all. You should show off your templates more often.

Thanks again.

More
8 years 10 months ago #148996 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic where to go from here?
@Sezai Ercan

It's normal that you didn't see our templates in other sites. Our templates are only available through our website. Actually it would be great to let us know if you see our templates sold through an other website.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---