Keyword

K2 Cache issue

• Ian Dalkin
  • Ian Dalkin's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #150015 by Ian Dalkin
K2 Cache issue was created by Ian Dalkin
Hello Krikor. In relation to www.joomlaworks.net/forum/k2-en/44420-joomla-cache-problem (the ticket seems closed - no 'reply' button) I have been in touch with the template developers who have replied:

"Hello Ian Dalkin.

You have a new message from Adrian Paciu.
Re: Cache issue

Please note that RSPenta! was built and designed to work on the same Joomla! framework. We've tested this on our servers using a standard Joomla! template like Protostar, under a similar setup with K2, and we've managed to replicate this issue without actually using RSPenta!.

The issue you're facing is not caused by RSPenta! nor something you can control from. You can easily test this by installation a default Joomla! template (as you've uninstalled the default Protostar template that comes with the Joomla! 3 package) and by temporarily switching to such template instead.

I would recommend contacting K2 developers on this matter directly as they should be able to provide assistance and or workout a solution and not a bet.

Regards!
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Ian Dalkin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 9 months ago #150038 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic K2 Cache issue
The thread is not closed you can still reply to it if you are logged in.
K2 does not have module positions, built in plugins to display related nor related content in the item listing view.
If you are using a module check the module's settings to see if there is a custom menu rendered there.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Ian Dalkin
More
8 years 9 months ago #150054 by Ian Dalkin
Replied by Ian Dalkin on topic K2 Cache issue
Thanks Krikor,

In fact, I do have a number of custom menus. What is your suggestion? I don't understand. What should the setting be if a custom menu calls, for example, for specific K2 categories and only visible on certain pages? Many thanks.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 9 months ago #150079 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic K2 Cache issue
Can you share a URL and some demo credentials??
Not Super User of course.

Without a link I can only guess the issue.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Ian Dalkin
More
8 years 8 months ago #150456 by Ian Dalkin
Hello again Krikor,

Ref: www.thebigfix.org

Despite spending more than a month trying to fix this issue, I still can’t get it to work (ie. when ‘cache’ is turned ‘on’, the site breaks. The issue is now beyond urgent and I will do whatever I have to do to get a fix. Can you please help? If it turns out to be a simple misconfiguration on my part, I will gladly pay you for your time (I will pre-pay if necessary). Please let me know how to PM login as S/A

Any or all help would be much appreciated. I have an Akeeba backup of the site so son’t be concerned if the site doesn’t work. I restore it to proper functioning by simply turning off cache, clearing cache and remove cached files from the browser.

The latest from Georgics Papadakis;

EVERY controller needs to set proper $urlparams

latest.php controller of k2 is not setting any, neither is its parent controller, thus it is using the platform defaults which do not include "Itemid" !
i hacked Joomla code and made a function stack printout and also printed the passed $urlparams, they are empty, as expected by looking at the code, thus the platform defaults which do not include "Itemid" were used !

Let's not guess, and confirm that every INDIVIDUAL CONTROLLER is setting these properly,

if some view of Joomla is broken in a similar way it should be fixed too BUT this is not related

my component caching was broken in a similar way 2 years ago - i found no Joomla caching bug !! other than the requirement that every component needing to set the safeurlparams properly, which is not a bug

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #150468 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic K2 Cache issue
@Ian Dalkin

You need to provide more details regarding the issue. What's the link that fails? There is no need to provide us with administration credentials. Just let us know which link fails.

Finally, there is no reason to create duplicate posts, here and at the K2 repository on GitHub. GitHub is used to report a verified issue. Since you are looking for help the forum is the way to go.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Lefteris.

• Ian Dalkin
More
8 years 8 months ago #150504 by Ian Dalkin
Thank you Lefteris, I need all the help I can get and as I explained before, I am happy to pay if it is a simple misconfiguration by me. The site is at www.thebigfix.org and is currently working fine with cache turned off. But it is far too slow and as it grows, a site without cache will eventually grind to a halt. I am happy to provide you with SA access but I don't see how to send that privately. When you sign in, simply turn on the cache and watch the site fall over.

I only posted at Github because when I was searching for a fix, I found the conversation at Github where other people experienced similar issues. See github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/7354#issuecomment-169028851

The conversation with Krikor started at www.joomlaworks.net/forum/k2-en/44420-joomla-cache-problem where there is a screenshot of the issue.

More
8 years 8 months ago #150523 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic K2 Cache issue
As i wrote before, i need more details. I asked you to tell me which link fails and you just wrote that the site falls over when you turn on the cache.

The screenshot from the other topic has marked the front-end editing events ( i guess ) . Can you just copy the links ? On top of that, those links are only available when user is logged which means that caching is turned off .

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Ian Dalkin
More
8 years 8 months ago #150538 by Ian Dalkin
Hello Lefteris,

I can see that I'm not explaining myself clearly.

When a member of the public goes to the site www.bigfix.org then they will see that everything is working fine, so in that sense I can't send you a URL.

But if you log in as SA and turn conservative caching 'on' in GlobalConfig, then the site will fall over when you try its navigation. I would like you to see this in action but I still can't see how to send you the SA access user/pass.

As I said before, if it's a configuration issue, I am happy to pay you for your time to fix it but the GitHub posts suggest it's something more than that as other users are reporting the issue. It might be the SQL or PHP version but I simply don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Ian Dalkin
More
8 years 8 months ago #150544 by Ian Dalkin
Ref: www.thebigfix.org

I may have tracked the issue but I will confirm this in 24/48 hours. In the meantime if anyone reading this could quickly check the site and report back it would be appreciated. And could the K2 admins recommend the best 'outputbuffering' config?

Because my test site on another server was working just fine, I downloaded an Akeeba backup from that server to my 'live' server. Result? Site not working. So I wondered what the problem could be .. during the Akeeba backup, there was a message that outputbuffering was turned on but should be turned off. So I called the hosting company and asked them to turn it off. After I had been put on hold, the site started working properly and when the guy came back on the line, he said that he had changed the PHP version from 5.3 to 5.4.

WTF?? The server specs in Global Config specifically said that the server was already running PHP 5.4.45!

So in effect, the server doesn't seem to have been configured properly in some way. This would seem to be a good starting point for anyone experiencing this issue.