Keyword

Migrating from com_content Philosophy help

More
8 years 4 months ago #154354 by rsd
I am migrating from com_content to com_k2. (1000+ items).

I am having a hard time to understand the philosophy behind K2.

It seems to me that there is a confusion between Layout (not design) and organization.
So, I need some help to clarify the reasons (so I do not fight the system) and play along.

The main issue I see, is that the the a item and a category, carries with itself all information about the layout.
In a menu item (category/item) there are a few layout options that's only available when using multiples categories.

In order to recreate a frontpage with featured articles, I had to point to my root category in the menu item.
As this is the only category in the menu item, I had to set the options in the category itself.
However, when trying to reuse this category later on, I need to use different settings in the category itself. How do I do it?

One way to do it, i thought, was to make the frontpage menu item with 2 categories and set the layout info, now allowed, in the menu item.
However, even in this case, the menu item layout options are incomplete.
e.g.
In the category layout configuration I want to display the author information. So it can be used elsewhere.
However, in the frontpage, I would like to hide this information, but the menu item layout configuration does not have these options.

What is the way to go from here?
I made a very specific case, but I am interested in understand (if possible) the reasons behind these decisions.
Or am I missing the point?

I believe I would probably be able to do it with an template override.
However I would like to avoid it as much as possible.

Thank you for the time.
-rsd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 4 months ago #154362 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Migrating from com_content Philosophy help

In a menu item (category/item) there are a few layout options that's only available when using multiples categories.

Yes, the layout options are stored in the category's settings.

If you want a different layout in the frontpage you can use a different template, since you are using a multi-category layout.

Having the same settings in each menu item and in the category's settings is an overkill.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.