• En Jie's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #155660 by En Jie
Joomla 3.5 and K2 URLs was created by En Jie
Hello

I have recently upgraded to:

Joomla 3.5.1
K2 2.7.0

but cannot line up the k2 urls (used as a blog on our site) with the old site with the identical configuration. The url structure from the old site: www.********.com/parent-cagegory-alias/sub-cagetory-alias/item-alias.

Further info:
1/ the subcategories are all linked to main menu items
2/ I also use sh404sef on the site with all component including k2 configured to 'use default handler'
3/ I have turned on the advanced SEF in K2 and tried numerous combinations, but could not achieved the above outcome.

I would very much appreciate an advice on how the above URL structure could be achieved.

best regards

En Jie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #155661 by shoulders

• En Jie
More
8 years 3 months ago #155663 by En Jie
Replied by En Jie on topic Joomla 3.5 and K2 URLs
Hello Shoulders

Think you very much for the reply!

I have read the threads recommended with following questions (I think I am missing something):
1/ I have created menu items to be linked to the K2 sub-categories.
2/ With the advanced SEF off (or on), I get item url as *****.com/item/id-item-alias.html (item urls are not picking up category of sub-category title alias)
3/ A basic question, does 'menu mapping' in the threads simply means creating the the menu structure such as parent and child items? or there is function that I need to turn on somewhere?
4/ in the second thread there is a mention of 'new extension for SEF Advance' which appears to achieve the goal, is it a new plug in? or just the advanced SEF under K2 options?

Once again, your advice is highly valued and much appreciated.

best regards

En Jie

More
8 years 3 months ago #155667 by shoulders
Replied by shoulders on topic Joomla 3.5 and K2 URLs
1) each category needs to be mapped to an individual menu item
2) each of these menu items needs to match your K2 category structure

This will give you a URL structure that you want but does require a lot of setup if you have a lot of categories.

The SEF/Advanced SEF settings wont really change the URL layout i.e. give you nested category SEF URLs. I found K2 the settings to be a bit pointless for what I wanted.

Menu mapping is basically points (1) and (2) above. (category1/subcategory/subcategory/article)

The SEF Advanced extension apparently allows you to do the menu structure you are after without all of the menu work, however I have NEVER used it and cannot guarantee it will work. It could be an expensive mistake.

I am definitely of the opinion that this sort of URL behavior should be the default in K2 not something you need to summon spirits to get working.

I hope this helps

• En Jie
More
8 years 3 months ago #155674 by En Jie
Hello Shoulders

Thank you so much for your time and advice. I only set up a couple of menus to try out - no wonder why it did not work. More work to do.

" am definitely of the opinion that this sort of URL behavior should be the default in K2 not something you need to summon spirits to get working." -cannot agree with more!

Best regards

En Jie

• En Jie
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #155716 by En Jie
Hello Shoulders

I am at loss here and would much appreciate your assistance again.

I have now created menu items for all K2 categories and linked to the K2 categories as advised, but still getting item urls as: *****.com/item/id-item-alias.html

Questions:
1/ When you said 'each category needs to be mapped to an individual menu item', did you mean creating a menu item and linked to the category? (I am not entirely clear regarding the concept of 'map')
2/ is there somewhere I need to enable the 'menu mapping' function? (I am currently having k2 advanced SEF OFF)
3/ I have cleared cache, purged urls

Once again, I am at loss right now and would much appreciate the advice/assistance.

Best regards

En Jie
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by En Jie.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #155738 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Joomla 3.5 and K2 URLs
It is quite simple actually,

You either need to enable K2's advanced SEF

or) map each K2 category into a separate menu item (this is what I do).
Additionally you can create an empty K2 categories menu (leave the category selection empty) and call it eg: content. This way all orphan users and tags are rendered through that menu item.

or) Use a 3rd party SEF extension which supports K2.

It is that simple.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
8 years 3 months ago #155747 by shoulders
Replied by shoulders on topic Joomla 3.5 and K2 URLs
it is not simple, it is confusing.

i) You either need to enable K2's advanced SEF

This does not do what En Jie needs

ii) map each K2 category into a separate menu item (this is what I do).
Additionally you can create an empty K2 categories menu (leave the category selection empty) and call it eg: content. This way all orphan users and tags are rendered through that menu item.

This is not a good way of having dynamic content and I have no idea what orphan tags and users are. I just want nested category SEF. But the mapping of individual menu items to categories seems the only way to achieve this.

iii) Use a 3rd party SEF extension which supports K2.

This really is misleading. SEF Extensions can support K" but not give nested category SEF URLs. SH404SEF will not provide nested category SEF URLS, the only one that might is 'SEF Advanced'. I am assuming this because someone on one of the referenced threads says he has.

If anyone actually has a working system of K2 with nested category SEF URLS using a 3rd part SEF Extensions please let me know how you did it., preferably with examples.

Thanks as always

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #155756 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Joomla 3.5 and K2 URLs
If you map each category into menu items then you can create submenus as well. Recreate the category structure into menu items.
This is the most efficient way.

Orphan tags and users are tags and user pages which are not mapped into any menu items.
Creating a blank menu item will give you nice URLs for these views as well.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• En Jie
More
8 years 3 months ago #155775 by En Jie
Hi Both

Thank you so much for your effort to help.

Here is the site: staging.valleygreentea.com.au

As you can see under the menu 'blog', each category is linked to a menu item. The category/subcategory urls are nicely done, but the item urls are nothing like what is expected. I have cleared the cache and purged the urls many times. Made no difference here.

Looking forward to hear some advice on what is causing this?

best regards

En Jie