Keyword

Items in multiple categories in K2 v3?

• Benjamin Donner
  • Benjamin Donner's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #156264 by Benjamin Donner
Items in multiple categories in K2 v3? was created by Benjamin Donner
Can someone tell me if K2 v3 will include the ability to assign K2 items to multiple K2 categories? This has not been possible in K2 x2.x withou extra plugins, and has caused problems with compatibility + for instance items showing up many times in search results and different kind of tag and multiple cateogry listings. I need thit function, and now have to ask for some coding if K2 v3 will not have it = I should try to wait some more for K2 v3.

Cheers,
Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #156270 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Items in multiple categories in K2 v3?
Hello Ben,

We have decided against multi-categorisation for v3.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
8 years 2 months ago #156335 by Filip
Replied by Filip on topic Items in multiple categories in K2 v3?
Hi Krikor,
is this final? I mean, it would really make a small revolution in Joomla if you added this feature! Think about it: choosing category in multi-select droplist, editing and deleting "original" item makes same effect to all other instances, blahblah. Instead, we use something like "articles anywhere" to maintain multiple items across multiple categories making sites heavier and heavier...
I am sure my example will help understanding this need: faculty has many departments, departments have many classes. Now, one class can be part of multiple departments. If I have single item for one class, I would not have to edit all of them, just one.
I know you're gonna suggest plugins such as "multiple k2 categories per item", but it creates no good pathway, since only "original" has it's parent category right! Also, category listings are inaccurate etc etc.
So, having many original parents is a solution. Can you explain in few words why you gave up, maybe I give up tweaking original code trying to achieve this goal (which I plan to do)?
Thank you! K2 still ruls, even w/o this feature :)

never walk alone

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #156337 by Krikor Boghossian
Hello Filip,

Unfortunately this is final. However this is not the end of the world.
An extension can still be used for this feature.

I am not sure though if extensions.joomla.org/extension/additional-categories-for-k2 will be ported for v3.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
8 years 2 months ago #156429 by Scott
Replied by Scott on topic Items in multiple categories in K2 v3?
I am surprised that the developers would not implement a "MUST HAVE" update to k2. it should have been part of K2 since the beginning.

I think the problem is not adding it but it would be multiple articles. which would over bloat a website. the reason I say this is the attachment feature work that way. I discovered at least on my site that when adding an attachment to k2 using browser server that it actually duplicates the pdf file and places in a k2 attachment folder..why it does this I have no idea not very efficient.

however if I use upload and browse to my computer k2 takes that pdf and uploads directly to the k2 attachment folder.

if I want to use that same pdf in another article I need to use a relative path to the k2 attachment folder other wise it would duplicate again and so on.

I may be wrong here but I can see this being an issue with assigning an article to multiple categories :(

Design Starts with a Blank Sheet

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #156434 by Krikor Boghossian
This comes to down to each caregory's settings.

If category a has attachments enabled and b disabled, it really comes down to which category's settings are being respected.

The multiple categories does not duplicate items, it simply displays it in other views so the only issue with attachments and images in the same manner, would be a display issue.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---