Keyword

A few basic questions

• Dr Jonathan Downie
  • Dr Jonathan Downie's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #156912 by Dr Jonathan Downie
A few basic questions was created by Dr Jonathan Downie
Hi there.

A quick bit of background. All I want to do is to add a single blog into an existing site. Every blog extension I have found either seems to need you to add an ugly sidebar that is only actually needed by bloggers or seems hideously expensive. I had heard that K2 was the best option but all the videos and guides I have seen either seem to be from the POV of bloggers and not the webmaster or seem to take forever to get to the point.

So, in that context, here are my, admittedly n00b questions (feel free to respond with links if they exist):

1) Is K2 still a live project? I have seen a lot of posting about updates and slow progress. Is this just a summer thing or should I look elsewhere?
2) Can I integrate K2 onto the site just to run the blog, without having to go through the craziness of importing every existing article?
3) Where can I find a quickstart guide, written from the POV of the webmaster?
4) While I will be webmaster, I won't be the main blogger. How user-friendly is the blogger side of K2? Would it take me forever to write a good tutorial or does it work really simply out of the box?

Thanks.

Dr Downie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #156936 by Bam Bam
Replied by Bam Bam on topic A few basic questions
Hey Doc,

1.: In my opinion K2 is still live. Updates and new features need time to get implemented - AND don't forget: the whole main-system is free of charge! So don't worry about updates. If needed you'll get it. ;)

2.: Yes. (You can import all existing articles, but you don't have to.)

3.: POV of the webmaster? I don't know what you mean. Install K2 to Joomla, add menu item(s), categories and articles and you are done. The more specific your ideas are, the more time you need to set up. In main it is simple, but with many options. You can also make an override of the standard-k2-template to fit your needs.

4.: I don't think you need much time to explain K2. You can create a frontpage login and a menu item to add an article. It is really self-explaning.

If you got more questions, just ask. Or have a look at this: getk2.org/documentation

Matthew.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Bam Bam.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #157000 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic A few basic questions
These videos will also help you: getk2.org/documentation/k2class2012

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)