Keyword

Can K2 Build a basic directory (Sobi like) with images/map?

• Robert
  • Robert's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #160726 by Robert
Hi,

I have had K2 installed for a few years, but I have never really gotten into doing much with it other than the basics. And now that I am exploring it I really like it, but I would like to ask for some advice on if what I want to do is even possible.

On my old Joomla 1.6 site I had a SobiPro directory of international field schools for students. You can view the old gateway page here: shovelbums.net/index.php/view-field-schools . When a field school instructor came to the site they could go to the entry form page and fill out the required information for their field school, submit it, then I would check to make sure everything was correct and approve it. When a visitor came to the directory page they were met with a list of all of the entries in the directory. There was also a set of links where they could narrow down the list by either 5 regions or 17 specialities. When a user clicked through on one of the entries they were brought to a more detailed page which included field school details, images, and a location map.

Over time I became frustrated with Sobi and their never ending fees. So I have been looking for an alternative. I like K2 and it *seems* like I should be able to set it up to do what I want it to do, but I just do not know where to start.

So my needs are:
  • Have a form logged in users can access, fill out, choose what (multiple) categories it should be visible in, submit it, and be approved. And if they need, log back in and edit their submission.
  • Be able to display a thumbnail image and directory list.
  • Be able to display a details page including images and a map from coordinates entered on their submission form.
  • I
s this something K2 can even do natively? Or would I need to integrate it with other extensions (like a form submission?).

My sincere thanks in advance. I have gone through the forums but have not found any threads that give much detail about this particular question.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mohamed Abdelaziz
  • Platinum Member
  • Joomla Developer
More
7 years 7 months ago #160733 by Mohamed Abdelaziz
Replied by Mohamed Abdelaziz on topic Can K2 Build a basic directory (Sobi like) with images/map?
Hi Robert,

You will be able to do it with K2 in addition to an extension for multiple categories, and another one for the maps integration.

I think only the extension of multiple categories is paid, and I used a free maps plugin on one of my websites before.

Multiple Extra Fields Groups for K2
AutoMeta for K2
Chained Fields for K2
More K2 Extensions In My Extensions Store

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.