Keyword

Complex mod_k2_content multi-module anti-duplication rules

• Jonathan Magoga
  • Jonathan Magoga's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #165635 by Jonathan Magoga
Hello.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to set rules to avoid duplication of items across several mod_k2_content modules on the same page.

In my example, I have a news website (NYTimes style), with several categories, and many modules at the frontpage.

Some of those modules are automatic (each from one category), and some are manual (specific items, for highlights).

What I would like to set up is some kind of rule that says that if one item is loaded in one module (manually, specific item), it should not be loaded in the other automatic modules.

So, if I manually select an item from the, for example, "foreign policy" category, I want the automatic module that lists the 5 most recent "foreign policy" items to skip that item I selected manually in the highlights module.

Is that possible to do across modules on the same page?

I know my way around overrides, but I guess this solution would have to first order the module loading, so highlights would load first, and then the other modules would check the item loaded at the highlights module and skip those items.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #165636 by william white
Is there some way you could use featured items to accomplish this without the modules having to "talk" to each other?

• Jonathan Magoga
  • Jonathan Magoga's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #165637 by Jonathan Magoga
Hi William.

Even with the module ability to only show featured, or only show non-featured, the client would still have to feature/unfeature news items in order for it to go to and then drop from the highlights module to the regular news module.

But hey, thanks for the reminder!
Now that I'm actually giving this a thought, that is a great advance over the current "all manual" method.
If I set up things right, the client would only need to feature an item that would go to highlights, and all other modules will hide featured.
This way I don't risk repeated news.

Thanks a lot, William!

But still, if anyone knows how to accomplish cross-module talk, I would love to have that as an advanced solution.

Cheers.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 9 months ago #165662 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Complex mod_k2_content multi-module anti-duplication rules
Hello,

I would also propose the featured flag, since this is the only way you can have any cross-module flags apart from manually setting the items.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)