Keyword

RSS feed struggle

• Jeff Monk
  • Jeff Monk's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #169019 by Jeff Monk
RSS feed struggle was created by Jeff Monk
So I have inherited a site from a developer, and I need to be able to do one simple thing. :)

We have a number of categories in place, but none of the RSS feed icons will show up at the top. Is there a way to sort RSS feeds by category? We have quite a few categories, so this would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #169021 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic RSS feed struggle
If the overrides don't contain the HTML for the feed link, you can just grab the HTML from the source templates in K2. Or (most probably) they are hidden either in K2 (check settings and categories and menus) or just using some CSS.

I kinda lost you on sorting the RSS feeds by category...

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Jeff Monk
  • Jeff Monk's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #169024 by Jeff Monk
Replied by Jeff Monk on topic RSS feed struggle
Hey there,

Thanks for the response.

So, I have a number of categories in K2. Blog, News, blah blah blah...I was hoping I could have an RSS feed with JUST blog, and one with JUST news...know what I mean?

As for hiding hte icons, I think the guy before me actually edited the templates and took them out, as I can't see anything on our end in the source. Does K2 use a standard URL ending for RSS? Something standard I can tack onto my domain?

Thanks again

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #169025 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic RSS feed struggle
The easiest way for you to create a custom RSS feed from any categories (and unlike Joomla's com_content which is still rocket science in 2018) is this:

- Create a menu in Joomla that you don't retrieve anywhere in the frontend (let's call it "Hidden").
- In that menu, create a new menu item pointing to K2 Categories (jmp.sh/ZNor0F3). In there select the categories you want. For new K2 menu items, the RSS options are enabled by default.
- Before saving, make sure you add a descriptive yet short menu item alias, e.g. "allnews". Save the menu item.
- If this is a top level menu item, simply go to the site's frontend and call: /allnews?format=feed
- Done.

K2 uses the convention in RSS URLs that nearly all components that support RSS output use and that's the "?format=feed" when you are in itemlists, be it a category, tag or user page.

However, unlike other components, K2 can also output JSON which means it's dead simple to create a mobile or JS web app purely out of JSON data. Just append "?format=json" at the end of *ANY* K2 URL, even an item.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)