Keyword

problem with Advanced SEF Settings

More
5 years 11 months ago #169308 by Dor
Hello,

I have enabled the advanced SEF for K2 URLs and I have problems with duplicate pages.
i.e.
I have a menu item set to show category X. the URL of that category is example.com/cat-x
Category X have an item with an alias "item1".
That means that I can access this item using this URL: example.com/cat-x/item1.

I also have a completely different category that have an item with an alias "item2".
for some reason I can access "item2" using the url of the different category example.com/cat-x/item2.
I would expect that this URL with return error 404 as "item2" is not part of category X.

why is this happening and how can this be solved?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #169316 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic problem with Advanced SEF Settings
First off, you manually edit the URL. It's not buggy behaviour. The URL is parsed entirely until the item ID is found. This is what matters. In this case, the item ID is found through the item alias. So it doesn't matter what the path in-between is.

So, it's not exactly a problem, it's a side-effect but it doesn't cause issues in search engines.

I can do this as well www.joomla.org/announcements/release-news/5743-joomla-3-8-12-release-and-wordpress-is-having-fun-with-the-gutenberg-mess.html when the actual URL is www.joomla.org/announcements/release-news/5743-joomla-3-8-12-release.html. This is not a bug, it's how URL parsers/routers work in Joomla.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
5 years 11 months ago #169318 by Dor
Replied by Dor on topic problem with Advanced SEF Settings
Thanks for the reply Fotis.
I am not manually editing the url.It is indexed in search engines so people are accessing it organically.
the issue is that I have different templates assigned to the categories and different modules assigned to the menu item. And for some the faulty page is being indexed by search engines so people can and are accessing the faulty URL.

More
5 years 11 months ago #169320 by JoomlaWorks
It may have been indexed if you have Google Analytics enabled and you're logged into your GA associated Google account in your browser.

If the URL is not output anywhere in your site or referenced from a 3rd party site, the Google won't index it.

---

More
5 years 11 months ago #169331 by Dor
Replied by Dor on topic problem with Advanced SEF Settings
I checked it from different computers (that are not related at all to the GA's google account) and it is fully indexed by google, as well as 40-50 more similar URLs and it is highly unlikely that this amount of URLs are out there on the web...
Basically what your are telling me that this is the behavior you were going for? Is there a way to change it?

More
5 years 11 months ago #169342 by JoomlaWorks
If the URLs are not output on the html, they will not be crawled. The URLs indexed so far are probably your tests. This is what I'm saying and it's crucial to understand the role of GA here.

As for how URLs are parsed, we simply follow "the Joomla way". See my example URLs on joomla.org.

---