Keyword

K2 - no support, so what are we to do?

• etkritikonspoudon
More
12 years 4 months ago #60856 by etkritikonspoudon
Replied by etkritikonspoudon on topic Re: K2 - no support, so what are we to do?
Agreed, there some things that are really missing, especially for such a popular extension

1) Proper documentation
It is very strange that after years of K2, almost no documentation is present, especially well structured step-by-step documentation.
This would prevent threads with questions about self-evident answers from being posted

2) Separate theme forum categories
It is almost impossible to find what you're looking for in a single category where all sorts of threads keep piling up.

One must remember, though, that this is a totally free extension, where no user support is provided other than community support, that is users are expected to help each other.
K2/Joomlaworks developers are not making money out of this, so they need to build and develop sites for their clients..
...which means they cannot afford to properly staff the forums in order to provide consistent help.
I don't really know under what terms K2 is even developed....is it a "community" thing or is it more up to a couple of people to put it all together?
If it is the latter, then maybe faithful users/developers are discouraged from participating actively in the forums, where they could locate problems reported by users and update/fix the component at a quicker pace....

Presently, he rate of questions and threads and the lack of categorization makes it very difficult for even good intentioned and willing members to provide any meaningful help.

The old forum was FULL of valuable information, but it has been closed and made unavailable....it's expected to spring up at some time, but don;t know when that will happen...if it's to slow down K2 development, I prefer to leave it buried wherever it is though...

A SUGGESTION
A good start would be to build a team of knowledgeable uses who would "scan" the old forum - or the existing one - and collect answers and solutions (by other users, by K2 devs, or solutions they have come up with by themselves) to persistent questions and problems, categorize it and slowly build a documentation out of it.

I would also suggest that whenever YOU (and I) USERS find something worthwhile about K2 - be it a guide or a customization - bookmark it, save it, copy it and post it as a suggestion to be included in the documentation section OR ask the mods to create a category where all this useful stuff could be posted, along with links to the original author (even a description of the guide including only links to the guide would be enough)

Since we have found something is missing, maybe we can help ourselves by bringing it all together for others to see.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.