Keyword

K2 Featured Items Go to Front Page

• Just Kat
  • Just Kat's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 1 month ago #69739 by Just Kat
K2 Featured Items Go to Front Page was created by Just Kat
Any way that we can promote a K2 item to the front page like you can in regular Joomla? I know you can set an item to be featured but it doesnt go to the very very front page.

If there is an option to do this already, and I obviously overlooked it, than I apologize.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #69740 by Jack Sacre
Replied by Jack Sacre on topic K2 Featured Items Go to Front Page
Create a top level category and have it as the home page item, then in its paremeters set it to only show Featured items.
place your other categories underneath that category and then flag the items you want displayed on the front page as featured.

It works a treat for me.

• Just Kat
More
15 years 1 month ago #69741 by Just Kat
Replied by Just Kat on topic K2 Featured Items Go to Front Page
What are the specifics to have it(the Category) as the Front Page Item? Can you be more specific about this? Thanks. :)

More
15 years 1 month ago #69742 by Jack Sacre
In the joomla menu-manager create a new item or change your existing home item to K2 -> category view
now within the parameters choose the top level category only and select to only show featured items.
the items that you publish in sub-categories will not appear unless you flag them as Featured within K2.
I will try and do a little video guide for this later on just I am at work currently.
but if you have a look at my site, all those items on the front page are dragged from different categories...which is great. :)

• Just Kat
More
15 years 1 month ago #69743 by Just Kat
Replied by Just Kat on topic K2 Featured Items Go to Front Page
Yeah. I didnt know you could do that. I always thought that the only way to control what appears on the front page is to go to the item list within Joomla and click on the red x under the Front Page column. The other is to go into the actual item and edit it there. Now, how do you get the latest K2 entry (Im using K2 for blogging purposes) to show up on the very very front page? Too bad there is not a button for that directly in the K2 interface.

More
15 years 1 month ago #69744 by Jack Sacre
There is, but in the joomla menu manager you need to change the default homepage icon (the one with a gold star next to it) this item needs to point to a K2 Category NOT a Joomla Blog layout.

More
15 years 1 month ago #69745 by Xcantion
Replied by Xcantion on topic K2 Featured Items Go to Front Page
i search for this option too...

More
15 years 1 month ago #69746 by bkemler
Replied by bkemler on topic K2 Featured Items Go to Front Page
Actually, I don't think you need to create a top level category, since the Categories Layout will let you select multiple categories. Here are detailed instructions.

1. Go to Menus > Main Menu.
2. Click on the menu item with the gold star in the default column. This is likely called Home.
3. Unless your home page is already a K2 Categories view, in the box labeled Menu Item Type, click Change Type.
4. Change it to "K2 Categories".
5. Under Parameters (Basic) > Select Categories, select all of your categories (or if you only want the featured items from certain categories, select those).
6. Under Parameters (Basic) > Featured Items, select "Show only featured items".
7. Set whatever other parameters you want and save.

Now your home page will show only items that you have set as Featured.

More
15 years 1 month ago #69747 by Jack Sacre
if you select a top level category though you can use your category description as a fixed introduction to the site, then you set the cat. settings to display items from subcategories and then select 'only featured items'.

Just another way of doing it I guess.

B Kemler said:Actually, I don't think you need to create a top level category, since the Categories Layout will let you select multiple categories. Here are detailed instructions.
1. Go to Menus > Main Menu.
2. Click on the menu item with the gold star in the default column. This is likely called Home.
3. Unless your home page is already a K2 Categories view, in the box labeled Menu Item Type, click Change Type.
4. Change it to "K2 Categories".
5. Under Parameters (Basic) > Select Categories, select all of your categories (or if you only want the featured items from certain categories, select those).
6. Under Parameters (Basic) > Featured Items, select "Show only featured items".
7. Set whatever other parameters you want and save.

Now your home page will show only items that you have set as Featured.

• Simbarashe Munhemba
More
14 years 11 months ago #69748 by Simbarashe Munhemba
Replied by Simbarashe Munhemba on topic K2 Featured Items Go to Front Page
I have managed to create a new category in K2 specifically for my Frontpage, I just want to play the video so I had everything related to text disabled and the video is playing. When I launch the frontpage I see the video playing in half the space as if it is in one column any ideas how to view this within the entire content space?