Keyword

inherit parameter options from category not working

• Christopher Jackson
More
14 years 8 months ago #77753 by Christopher Jackson
Replied by Christopher Jackson on topic inherit parameter options from category not working
I just discovered that the inherit parameters option does work partly for me. It will allow one category to inherit parameters from the Item View Options section of another category.

However, the Category Item Layout parameters are not inherited.

Strange. Anyone have any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #77754 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic inherit parameter options from category not working
Hi Malcolm,

Yes, I would be will to take a look.
Unfortunately, I am taking the weekend off, the first since before Christmas, so realistically the first opportunity with be the evening on Monday (GMT).

If you wish to send admin details, then please send me a message via K2Joom.com contact.

Malcolm Wiseman said:k2joom, would you take at my setup? if so, I've setup a admin acct. for you, and I can send passwd via email or other.
thanks!

More
14 years 8 months ago #77755 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic inherit parameter options from category not working
I am still a little confused about this issue.

I am running three K2 sites, all V2.2 and all with inherits without issue.
needs a deeper look I think.

Forest said:I just discovered that the inherit parameters option does work partly for me. It will allow one category to inherit parameters from the Item View Options section of another category.
However, the Category Item Layout parameters are not inherited.

Strange. Anyone have any ideas?

More
14 years 7 months ago #77756 by Dzoni Wajsmiler
Replied by Dzoni Wajsmiler on topic inherit parameter options from category not working
Anything new about this issue?
I have to define the parameters in every single article which is really not a time saver because the "inherit from category" doesn't work.

Joomla: 1.5.15.
Template: Rockettheme
K2: V2.2.

• Malcolm Wiseman
  • Malcolm Wiseman's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 7 months ago #77757 by Malcolm Wiseman
Replied by Malcolm Wiseman on topic inherit parameter options from category not working
No, Dzoni. No joy yet. It still doesn't work. A real pain.

Dzoni Wajsmiler said:Anything new about this issue? I have to define the parameters in every single article which is really not a time saver because the "inherit from category" doesn't work.

Joomla: 1.5.15.
Template: Rockettheme
K2: V2.2.

More
14 years 7 months ago #77758 by Simon Wells
Can I get some confirmation.

Do you have any inherits working?
If yes, which ones work, which one do not?

• Tomasz Bieliński
More
14 years 7 months ago #77759 by Tomasz Bieliński
Replied by Tomasz Bieliński on topic inherit parameter options from category not working
Hi,
I observed that sometimes inheriting/changing of options for category doesn't work AFTER connecting the category to the menu.
In this case I made new category, edited it according to my needs or by inheriting from other categories. AFTER that I've created the NEW menu position pointing to the new category, then I've deleted the old menu position. I my case it has worked.
regards Tomasz

More
14 years 7 months ago #77760 by Simon Wells
I have created an example to show inheritance, it as a little difficult to confirm without viewing the admin side.

Basically, I have created 1 category to hold the test which also lists all the parameters that were used.
2 sub cats, each with 9 items.
Sub cat 1 is the donor
Sub cat 2 inherits from sub cat 1

Sub cat 2 mirrors sub cat1

Following Tomasz comments, I just added a menu link.
Go to K2joom.com and under Support in the main menu, you will see links to Inherit Test (main cat) and then the two sub cats.
They all appear the same as the direct route.

Hope that helps.

• Clifford Sonnentag
More
14 years 6 months ago #77761 by Clifford Sonnentag
Replied by Clifford Sonnentag on topic inherit parameter options from category not working
Tomasz Bielinski said:Hi, I observed that sometimes inheriting/changing of options for category doesn't work AFTER connecting the category to the menu.
In this case I made new category, edited it according to my needs or by inheriting from other categories. AFTER that I've created the NEW menu position pointing to the new category, then I've deleted the old menu position. I my case it has worked.
regards Tomasz

It would be nice to have a button that flagged a post as useful or helpful in this forum. Seems K2 has many minor issues and bugs to iron out. What is the budget like for this component? Anyone donating?

More
14 years 4 months ago #77762 by Alan Sparkes
Replied by Alan Sparkes on topic inherit parameter options from category not working
A wee bit of light to shine here.I think it is connected to how you generate the menu item, eg Joomla menu or K2 modules and whether layout or view is passed in URL

eg compare these

Joomla generated Menu option for K2 category view 'Training Bulletins':
index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&Itemid=27

K2 Tools menu list same category:
index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=category&id=36:training-bulletins-and-guides&Itemid=14

When 'layout' is used in url passed by Joomla menu item i lose my category specific params....

However when K2 makes the category link direct from K2 module I get my expected params.

The difference is that the category menu type in Joomla allows more than one category assignent for the link/view, whereas in K2 Tool list Menu generation we get specific categories. Pain ensues.

How can we get the menu item from Joomla to allow single category and parameter respect or I cant see how a multiple category view is meant to get its parameters - presumably from the parent = zero/ or top most parent category...?

For me the question is how can I just get a joomla menu to point to one category with a 'itemlist' view