Keyword

all about K2 and Cache System

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #90195 by Matthew Philogene
Replied by Matthew Philogene on topic all about K2 and Cache System
@MarcoIf you are getting this kind of traffic you should be making sure your server is geared to handle this sort of traffic.

Enabling the cache etc helps. If your server is throttled in anyway this would be an issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #90196 by Jerry Garner
Replied by Jerry Garner on topic all about K2 and Cache System
Sorry, but this K2 caching system really isn't that great. If I copy a K2 site into 1.7 (without K2) and compare the two sites, the K2 version is noticeably slower.

More
13 years 1 week ago #90197 by Matthew Philogene
There could be many variables to look at...
Your server
Your template ie how many mods or plugins you are loading
All these can have an effect

K2 works well.. Just take time to check settings and remove stuff which is not needed.

Jerry G said:Sorry, but this K2 caching system really isn't that great. If I copy a K2 site into 1.7 (without K2) and compare the two sites, the K2 version is noticeably slower.

More
13 years 1 week ago #90198 by Jerry Garner
Oh, it works well, it is just slower than 1.7. That's all I'm saying, and it's partially because of the way the K2 caching system works.

My other problem is these category links at the top of pages. I'm able to get rid of it on some pages, but not on others, and it makes no sense as to why. No one on this forum seems to have an answer to it and it looks quite ugly the way it is. It's enough that I'm thinking about just scrapping K2 and starting from scratch with 1.7. I can always add comments and tags to that in a matter of minutes and then it will have all the same features.

More
13 years 1 week ago #90199 by Matthew Philogene
Settings ... Check your settings

More
13 years 1 week ago #90200 by Jerry Garner
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. I turned off category images, and made sure everything related to displaying categories was set to no/hide. Then on my menu items, I set include child categories to no, and set it to display 10 leading and 0 others. On some pages this change takes effect and the links do not appear at the top of the page. On most, however, it just reverts right back to the default format as soon as I click save (being something like 2 leading and 4 of the others, with show child categories marked back to yes). I've never figured out why I got it removed from some pages but not others, but I can assure you, the settings are the same for all of them (at least until I click save and it reverts back to the default).

Another problem I have with a different K2 template I've started working with recently is that it doesn't let me show more than 20 K2 users. If I set it to display a higher number of users, I am returned a blank page. If I try to use any other filter, I am returned a blank page. If I leave it at 20 and try to click the next button, I am returned a blank page. And once I get the blank page, the only way I can see the first 20 again is if I log out and log back in, but I can still only see the first 20. So now I have a site with 27 authors and can only set up bios/avatars for 20 of them.

Seems like the more I use it, the more bugs I encounter. I'm gonna try to do a fresh K2 upgrade and see if that fixes the users issue on that template, but still, if I can't get those category links off the top of the pages then it's for nothing anyway, because it just looks too unattractive to keep.

Thanks for your help/input though. I do appreciate that. It's more than I received on the thread I started about it.

edit...I should clarify that when I say I am returned a blank page, what I mean is that the page loads normally, but that the list of users is empty. It's not actually an all-white screen, it is just that there are no users visible.

More
11 years 10 months ago #90201 by Dexter Bayack
Replied by Dexter Bayack on topic Re: all about K2 and Cache System

Fotis Evangelou wrote: What we plan to do in the future is offer an ajax based mechanism to track page hits using javascript.

Was this ever implemented?