Keyword

K2 and SH404SEF

More
13 years 7 months ago #92217 by Olivier Karfis
Replied by Olivier Karfis on topic K2 and SH404SEF
Quick answers below: 

Olivier.....If i set up sh404SEF that no category shows in URL, (just homepage + Item ID + Item Alias).

May i then move Items from one category to another without fear for punishment in Google ?

And would sh404SEF automatically recognise movement ?

>>sh404 should automatically recognize the move if the original URL was also managed by sh404 (meaning it was enabled & used before the move).  If the actual URL changes then it will set up what it calls an 'alias' which will generate a 301 code and a redirect to the new URL (recommended method by Google so you don't loose your page rank)

What is best solution for moving Items (or Joomla Articles) between categories ?

>>Not sure what you are asking. Just check all the articles/items you want to move then click on Move and select the new category.

With SEF native ? And with sh4040SEF ?

>> The moving method is the same.  As mentioned in the 1st point, sh404 should see the change and create aliases, if you need, you can also manually create aliases (some of my pages have 4-5 aliases that have kept track of the structure changes during 2 years of an evolving site)

I guess SEF native requires lot of changes in core code.

>> There is very little user control over the way the URLs are created by the built-in SEF engine, that's why people use sh404 or other SEF extensions.  Through the sh404 interface, you can select if you want your URLs to have things like the itemID, the name of the category and/or alias, an extension like .htm at the end, the name of the view, etc... It's very customizable for Joomla articles, there are a lot less options for K2 items unfortunately (but the key ones are there). sh404 also can also do nice things like add your site name after your page title or automatically create missing metatags...

--Olivier

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #92218 by BBC
Replied by BBC on topic K2 and SH404SEF
Wait.......i have sh404SEF all the time. And i don´t see any inteligent redirect when i move articles to another Category (let´s say Archive)

I get plain, simple 404, not found and error page.

To make it more clear. In Google webmaster tool i see error links, and when i click at them i get sh404SEF error page, at my site.

I do sometimes purge all SEF cache. But what to do when sh404SEF becomes mad, and get errors at frontpage.

More
13 years 7 months ago #92219 by Olivier Karfis
Hi BBC,

You are completely correct. I typed too quickly and was off.  I've been building manual aliases for so long with sh404 that I forgot sh404 did not do that automatically - although depending what you choose to show in your URLs, a move might not require manual aliases (ex: if you only show section name & move articles between sub-categories, then the SEF links would still work).

I might need more sleep :-)

--Olivier
BBC said:

Wait.......i have sh404SEF all the time. And i don´t see any inteligent redirect when i move articles to another Category (let´s say Archive)

I get plain, simple 404, not found and error page.

To make it more clear. In Google webmaster tool i see error links, and when i click at them i get sh404SEF error page, at my site.

I do sometimes purge all SEF cache. But what to do when sh404SEF becomes mad, and get errors at frontpage.

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com

More
13 years 7 months ago #92220 by BBC
OK, thanks...it´s more clear now. Just K2 has not Sections, but you can simulate them.

I am asking most for people i have to leave sites. Don´t like to loose time making them sites and then they will not be anywhere in Google.

Work for nothing. (you can guess that i don´t earn nothing building sites, not yet)

I will try to skip Categories (and Sections) everywhere in links (not only K2). But then you have to trust them that they will not use same Title somewhere. There goes Item ID, i was asking for.

And btw, i don´t like at all road sh404SEF is taking. Honeypot, analytics, security almost as real firewall, Use table-less output !!??, etc...etc...

Soon will we have a image gallery in sh404SEF.

More
13 years 7 months ago #92221 by Olivier Karfis
If other people are creating pages then I recommend you do use at least the "show last category" option in the K2 sh404 options, it will avoid many dupes issues (although not eliminate them).

I agree with you, I really wish sh404 focused on improving their core functionality (like adding better tracking for moved articles, global redirects...) rather than branching into all these non-related features :-(

--Olivier
BBC said:

OK, thanks...it´s more clear now. Just K2 has not Sections, but you can simulate them.

I am asking most for people i have to leave sites. Don´t like to loose time making them sites and then they will not be anywhere in Google.

Work for nothing. (you can guess that i don´t earn nothing building sites, not yet)

I will try to skip Categories (and Sections) everywhere in links (not only K2). But then you have to trust them that they will not use same Title somewhere. There goes Item ID, i was asking for.

And btw, i don´t like at all road sh404SEF is taking. Honeypot, analytics, security almost as real firewall, Use table-less output !!??, etc...etc...

Soon will we have a image gallery in sh404SEF.

More
13 years 6 months ago #92222 by BBC
Small update to this. Maybe it can help someone.

Best way is to disable completely category name and use just domain name + title (or Alias) + Item ID.

www.mysite.com/name-of-the-item-381

In components/com_k2/sef_ext/com_k2.phpfind$title[] = $row->title;

(or $title[] = $row->alias;)

change to$title[] = $row->title.' '.$id;

That way you don´t have to worry when you move Items between Categories. You get ItemID at the end of URL. And you can have Items with same Titles (aliases).