Keyword

After K2 installation google is still pointing to the old (and empty) Joomla articles

• NUNO ALEXANDRE NOGUEIRA
  • NUNO ALEXANDRE NOGUEIRA's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 8 months ago #92864 by NUNO ALEXANDRE NOGUEIRA
It's amazig K2 developers have not predicted this in advance..

At least, it should be clear that if you install K2 in your Joomla website, your traffic will disappear from one day to the other! Currently, my website traffic dropped from 4K uv per day to 1,2K...

What if I just trash the whole Joomla content and submit a site map to google? How long will take to rebound?

Thanks Olivier Karfis, I'll check that tool!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #92865 by Olivier Karfis
Nuno,

I could also say to you "It's amazing that someone in charge of a 4K uv a day site would make such a dramatic infrastructure change without testing it locally and planning a proper upgrade path".  

K2 is a complete replacement of the content component of Joomla and as such, no-one should expect that the transition will be seamless.  There are definitely some things that Joomlaworks could do to ease the transition but blaming them for this is not called for (try any other CCK out there, you'll run into the same things).

As far as how long it takes Google to remove old pages from its index, there is no guaranteed timeframe.  Could be couple of days for some URLs, could be months for others.  Even if this happens rapidly, you will most likely loose page ranking and that can take a really long time to regain (not to mention that it's not just Google that's affected but every site and person that had a link to your old pages too).

If you don't want to learn about 301s running a 4k uv/day site then don't blame anyone else on loosing traffic. 

--Olivier Nuno Nogueira said:

It's amazig K2 developers have not predicted this in advance..

At least, it should be clear that if you install K2 in your Joomla website, your traffic will disappear from one day to the other! Currently, my website traffic dropped from 4K uv per day to 1,2K...

What if I just trash the whole Joomla content and submit a site map to google? How long will take to rebound?

Thanks Olivier Karfis, I'll check that tool!

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com

More
13 years 8 months ago #92866 by NUNO ALEXANDRE NOGUEIRA
I could also say to you "It's amazing that someone in charge of a 4K uv a day site would make such a dramatic infrastructure change without testing it locally and planning a proper upgrade path". 
You're right. I've built my site from zero to 4K uvs a day without any knowledge of Joomla, Google or Html whatsoever. I admit I am naif...

The point now is I have a problem to solve, I'm looking for a developer to help me with this task.

I've also tested admin tools, but 301s must be created manually so it won't solve my problem..

Thanks for your help.

More
13 years 8 months ago #92867 by Olivier Karfis
Nuno,

Admin Tools just does one to one 301s but .htaccess can also be built with very complex RegEx searches to do global redirections (see httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html ).  

The first thing you have to do is compare your old sitemap with your new one and identify the pattern differences in the URLs.  Hopefully, the page names are the same and only the directory path has changed (otherwise, you probably want to first make the change so that the page names are the same as the old joomla page names before moving on the the redirection phase - it's an almost impossible task otherwise).

I'd help you but I'm not a RegEx expert by any means.  I'd suggest you try someone on elance.com, if you give them clear directions, they can probably knock it out in a day or so for relatively little money.

Good luck,

--Olivier

Nuno Nogueira said:

You're right. I've built my site from zero to 4K uvs a day without any knowledge of Joomla, Google or Html whatsoever. I admit I am naif...

The point now is I have a problem to solve, I'm looking for a developer to help me with this task.

I've also tested admin tools, but 301s must be created manually so it won't solve my problem..

Thanks for your help.

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com

More
13 years 8 months ago #92868 by Jiliko.net
Hi,

I've made a reply to same problem here :

community.getk2.org/forum/topics/suggestions-for-moving-from-j?commentId=3536014:Comment:163201

I've created a system plugin to redirect joomla content url to K2 item url. I'm still working on content section/category redirection.

Nuno, if you've kept the same structure, this should work for you. Contact me to make some tests if you want.

Olivier

More
13 years 8 months ago #92869 by NUNO ALEXANDRE NOGUEIRA
Hello,

I've kept the same structure: imported k2 items, replaced menus to point to k2 categories.

If your plugin works with this, I'd like to test it.

Olivier Nolbert said:

Hi,

I've made a reply to same problem here :

community.getk2.org/forum/topics/suggestions-for-moving-from...

I've created a system plugin to redirect joomla content url to K2 item url. I'm still working on content section/category redirection.

Nuno, if you've kept the same structure, this should work for you. Contact me to make some tests if you want.

Olivier

More
13 years 8 months ago #92870 by Jiliko.net
Hi,

In attachment, the Beta version of the system plugin that, for now, ONLY works with content details url, i mean :

index.php?option=com_content&view=article...

I'm working on section & category views.

Thanks for your feedback.

Olivier
Attachments:

More
13 years 8 months ago #92871 by NUNO ALEXANDRE NOGUEIRA
Hi Olivier,

Installed your plugin.

Here's an example: this:

www.portal-gestao.com/financas/1482-fazer-o-orcamento-familiar.html

should point to this:

www.portal-gestao.com/financas/item/1482-1-fazer-o-or%C3%A7amento-familiar.html

You're still working on it, right?

More
13 years 8 months ago #92872 by NUNO ALEXANDRE NOGUEIRA
Hey Olivier,

I'm testing your plugin, from what I can see so far, it works beautifully!

I'm sure this will benefit a lot of k2 users.

Excellent work, congratulations!

:-D

More
13 years 8 months ago #92873 by Jiliko.net
@Nuno thanks for the feedback...

In attachment the v1.0.1 of the plugin that has been completely rebuilt to only filter bad content item urls from old menus to new K2 items urls.

it redirects with a 301 code, so search engines are advised it's a permanent redirection.

If you need explanations on how it works or if it doesn't work for you, let me know.

Olivier
Attachments: