Keyword

K2 and sh404sef problem

• Erik Buis
  • Erik Buis's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #103492 by Erik Buis
K2 and sh404sef problem was created by Erik Buis
Hello,

I am (re)building my website locally, and I understand this makes it difficult to offer support, but I wanted to try anyway. I really hope anybody has an idea on how to solve this.

I'm currently rebuilding my website to a Joomla 2.5 version with a new template and running K2. I want to use SH404SEF on this new version since it's also running on my current website and I am very pleased with how it works. Installing it on my new currently local hosted site together with K2 however faces me with a few issues.

After installing SH404SEF I'm missing modules on the article pages in specific categories. After some googling and looking for help over at the SH404SEF team the problem seems to be caused by K2 itself. K2 creates multiple duplicates of specific articles, which makes it impossible for SH404SEF to select the correct "main article". Therefore SH404SEF selects the wrong main article, redirecting all traffic to a page where the modules are not assigned to. I don't seem to be able to assign the modules to that page since I can't find out where that article is. The solution offered is to change the 'main article url' in the SH404SEF interface. However, the website is an news website and I don't really feel for editting the "main" non-sef URL for every new article I publish. Is there a way to change the default "main" non-sef URL?

Are there any others here with similar problems or even better a solution to my problem?

Thanks a lot for reading my essay, hope you can help me out ;-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #103493 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: K2 and sh404sef problem
Hi. Try to make menu links to the K2 categories. This way K2 will detect the correct menu link.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Erik Buis
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #103494 by Erik Buis
Replied by Erik Buis on topic Re: K2 and sh404sef problem
Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I already did that though. So each category has a menu link... even each sub category has an own menu link.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #103495 by Lefteris
I am pretty sure that it's a SH404SEF issue not K2. Since you have created menu links, try to disable SH404SEF and see if it works.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Erik Buis
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #103496 by Erik Buis
Hello Lefteris,

I'm pretty sure it is a combination of the two. K2 creates an variety of duplicates, and SH404SEF is unable to pick the right one...

Without the plugin on it all works perfectly, problems only occur when SH404SEF is on but I think it's to easy to just blame SH404SEF then

For example
I publish an article which results in the following url's:
index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=380&id=202&lang=en&view=item
index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=385&id=202&lang=en&view=item
index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=397&id=202&lang=en&view=item
index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=381&id=202&lang=en&view=item
index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=82&id=202&lang=en&view=item
index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=386&id=202&lang=en&view=item

I'm not really sure what the difference is between all these, since I thought the idemid would not change this much. Apparently something else is described there and the 202 is the real id.

Anyway...SH404SEF identifies the top one as the main article URL. However using that URL as main URL results in an page without the modules. Using this URL without SH404SEF turned on, results in a page with the modules.

Changing the main article non-sef url to let's say the second one in SH404SEF results in a page with the modules and leaves me behind in confusion...

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #103497 by Lefteris
If you have made a menu link to the category of the item then you will get only one link with one Itemid. Otherwise the Itemid is inherited by the current page.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Erik Buis
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #103498 by Erik Buis
I think I've got it! The article is posted in a sub catagory: Reviews - EP Reviews - Techno.
There is a menu item for both Reviews and EP Reviews but not for techno, so the article itself is indeed in a category for which there is no menu item.... I did not realised this because of the two main categories but you are absolutely right; the article itself is indeed in a category which does not have a menu link. Feel a little stupid now.

Anyway: that raises another question... I don't really want a menu item for all the available genres, so is there a work around? If I create the menu, but don't publish it...will that work?

Thanks a lot for you help, really appreciated!

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #103499 by Lefteris
You can create hidden menus. Make a new menu in Joomla! and then create and publish your menu links. But do not publish any module that it rendering your menu. This way your menu will be active but not available in your site.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Erik Buis
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #103500 by Erik Buis
Thanks! That worked perfectly...

Problem solved :-)

More
12 years 1 week ago #103501 by Lefteris
You are welcome.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---