Keyword

Version 3 delayed?

More
10 years 5 months ago #127982 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Version 3 delayed?
As far as we know, K2 2.x is fully compatible with Joomla 3.3. Any problems that will arise will of course be fixed ASAP.

As for K2 v3.x being cancelled... I honestly wonder... how do you make these assumptions? What I gave in that blog post is *estimates*, not exact dates. I prefer that we delay a bit that come out with something crap. We did this back with v2.0.0 when I personally "felt pressured" by our own community. The result? We had to issue continuous updates over the next days to address functionality that would be resolved, had we waited a bit.

K2 is one of the most active projects in the Joomla community.
K2 is our flagship product.
We actively support K2 here in the community.
K2 will soon reach 2 million downloads. Read that again.

Are these signs of an abandoned project?

K2 v2.x is fully functioning and working with the latest Joomla build right now. It's not in beta mode or RC mode or other half-ass ready release. You can safely use it and safely upgrade to v3.x when it's out. There is no urgency to go for 3.x even if we released it tomorrow. Like all software, you should (you must in my opinion) always wait a bit until a .1 or .2 release is out.

And P.S., if you wanna switch to another CCK, who's holding you? Go ahead and waste your time. If you wait though, you'll thank us later ;)

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #127983 by Doug Robertson
Replied by Doug Robertson on topic Version 3 delayed?
Thank you for coming into the conversation. I appreciate your participation here, but you still have done nothing to give us the answers about the timeline that many of us are asking for. It is good to know that this isn't being abandoned. That wasn't my personal concern anyhow.

What is important to me and most other people that are expressing frustration is the total lack of any new information about when we will see v3. I am not asking you to abandon any principals about putting out a piece of quality software, just that we are kept in the loop.

When you posted your estimated schedule months ago you set an expectation among the users. Many of us are trying to make the best decisions we can based on the little information that you are willing to pass along. By not giving us even basic updates you are making our jobs MUCH harder and honestly I am starting to resent it. Even now you aren't answering the real questions.

All we are asking is to be kept in the loop. Every few weeks put out a v3 update. This is where we are, a little about what is going on in the project and some rough estimates about what will happen next. If there is uncertainty then say so. We are not here to crucify you, but we do need to have a view into what is happening.

And finally, I would far rather develop against a system that hopefully has a full JSON API rather than mucking around in PHP. This is how all my other work is done on the site I am integrating into the Joomla site. There are also other feature that you have shown us that would change my design decisions in a significant way. So this isn't a simple implement it in v2 and then it will work perfectly in v3 issue. Doing it that way will cause me to have additional effort I do not want.

Keep to your principles, but please plan on communicating better. Those people who did the 2 million downloads are getting frustrated with your lack of any transparency.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #127984 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Version 3 delayed?
As I've already written above, proceed to implement any new project with v2. Updating to v3 will be transparent.

I have already disclosed all necessary info regarding the release of K2 v3. You know all the new features (which are "frozen" by the way for v3.0.0). What we're currently working is the backend UI and it's taking a little longer than we assumed, because this time, we get to build content management the way it should be (and not resemble Joomla's article manager). We're going into new territory and we need to test extensively.

I'll repeat once more. Go with v2 for any for your projects. Upgrading to v3 will be very easy.

---

More
10 years 5 months ago #127985 by Doug Robertson
Replied by Doug Robertson on topic Re: k2 v3 has been canceled?
This is what is frustrating. I don't want you to tell me what to do. You don't know what I am trying to accomplish and you are not in charge of my project. What I want is information so I can make those decisions.

I am tired of this conversation as I am sure you are. If you have no intention of giving us any real update on the v3 project just say so and I will stop asking. What you have written so far is the equivalent of saying go away and stop asking questions. I would really appreciate a real update and I am quite sure many others who contributed to that 2 million downloads would also.

At this point do you expect the beta to be pushed back months or do you have a reasonable expectation it will be out in the next 30 days? I don't need a hard and fast date, but I would like to understand what is going on so I have the ability to make my own decisions about MY projects.

I would like to build the new site around some of the new features you are talking about in v3. Specifically the changes you are talking about in the extended fields and multiple videos. If v3 is another 1/2 year away I will invest the time and effort in programming around the problems I have with K2 right now, but it sounds like v3 will have more flexibility in the areas I need. I don't want to build it one way now and change it later and I don't want to have the system live as a hack on top of v2 if v3 will solve my issues.

I was hoping that I would be able to use the JSON interfaces to manage the articles from a separate server, but it sounds like that isn't the way you are going. It is your project and I am disappointed, but I respect the decisions.

More
10 years 5 months ago #127986 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Re: k2 v3 has been canceled?
I've already announced via our social channels that we're talking about a 30 day delay.

As for the JSON API, in the frontend it's almost unchanged (includes only new elements) and in the backend it's private to K2 (you can make a plugin to utilize them but it may need a lot of work).

---

More
10 years 5 months ago #127987 by Doug Robertson
Replied by Doug Robertson on topic Re: k2 v3 has been canceled?
Thank you. That was the information I was looking for.

It would have prevented much of this tension if you had posted that update on your blog where the previous information was given out. Despite what the conventional wisdom is, many of us can't stand twitter or Facebook. We actually look to your web site as the definitive source of information. I actually subscribe to your twitter channel and didn't catch that information. (I still hate Twitter)

Can you please give use periodic updates about what is going on. Every few weeks would be fine. It does not need to be a 1000 word essay. Just a status of the project, some details of what you are doing and an update on what will happen.

If you did that I think everyone would be much happier. Users like to be in the loop about major changes to software that they are using.

More
10 years 5 months ago #127988 by caseyz
Replied by caseyz on topic Re: Version 3 delayed?
Awesome, thanks for the updates.

Creating Anticipation for a product can sometimes backfire when deadlines (even approximate ones) aren't met. Some of the complaints about the loose K2 timeline do seem excessive, however, you've created a go-to product for many of us, when communication goes silent on our go-to product, it can get frustrating.

I like to see a devoted company developing a great product and staying focused, but being devoted to a widely used product also means being at least partially devoted to your clients, and yes, people that use free products are still clients, although it can be difficult to remember that.

More
10 years 5 months ago #127989 by Gobezu Sewu
Replied by Gobezu Sewu on topic Re: Version 3 delayed?
Fotis I am sure you are aware but K2 serves various types of users, developers (plugin, template and more...interfacing with K2) and site builders alike.

As for being developer myself supporting K2 for quite some time I am puzzled by the message and although I am sure you meant to create excitement with me it just creates anxiousness. I keep on wondering what the next bread slice according to K2 is now. So please do clue us in on what is the new set of features that you are working on, and please break it down in developer language and not in an overview list.

Thank you for your guidance and ofc for K2.

More
10 years 4 months ago #127990 by Doug Robertson
Replied by Doug Robertson on topic Re: Version 3 delayed?
It is about time for a new update. Could someone give us a clue as to what is going on?