Keyword

K2 SEO issue - Can it be fixed?

More
11 years 6 months ago #61332 by Neil Forrester
Replied by Neil Forrester on topic Re: K2 SEO issue - Can it be fixed?
Hi Passy,

Not sure but you can try this:
  • Go to Components / K2
  • Click Parameters top right
  • A modal box opens. Click the Advanced tab
  • Scroll down to Advanced SEF Settings

Set 'Use the category ID in the URL' to No

You need to ensure you have an .htaccess file in the public_html folder and enabled SEF URL's in Site / Global Configuration.

Other than that not sure really. I hope that helps though.

Thanks,
Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #61333 by Passy
Replied by Passy on topic Re: K2 SEO issue - Can it be fixed?
Hi Neil,

My attitudes, are that way as you had said it. But unfortunately, it doesn't work.

I know what I shall not do any more. Have very much tried out. :-(

Passy

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #61334 by Neil Forrester
Hi Passy,

I translated the text on the page and can see that it's your '404 page not found' page.

Here's what you need to do to create a 404 page with a nice URL

Create another menu in Joomla. This will be a hidden menu that won't be seen at the front end.

Go to Menus / Menu Manager / Add New Menu

For the Title put - Hidden Menu
Menu type - Hidden Menu
Description - Hidden Menu

Save and Close

We now need to add a menu item to this menu.

Go to Menus / Hidden Menu
Click New
Give the menu a title such as: 404-Error-Page-Not-Found
Alias: 404-Error-Page-Not-Found
This will make your URL: www.domain.de/404-Error-Page-Not-Found

Make sure the link is published to the Hidden Menu.

Edit the error.php
Go to public_html / templates / yourtemplate / error.php

We need to edit this file: error.php

Find the text:

defined('_JEXEC') or die;

if (($this->error->getCode()) == '404') {
header('Location: /404-Error-Page-Not-Found');
exit;
}

Ensure the location is the URL of the new menu link to the 404 page we have just created.

Fingers crossed that should solve your issue.

Cheers,
Neil.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #61335 by Passy
Replied by Passy on topic Re: K2 SEO issue - Can it be fixed?
Hi Neil,

The Website "www.domain.de" isn't my Website - This was an example. sorry for the misunderstanding. My real website is " www.newdooclips.de/ " btw. " www.newdooclips.de/component/k2/cookiebreed-erfolg-durch-scream-tutorials " - Take a look as URL.

I know what we cannot do extremely any more yet. I have this problem already for 2 weeks.

Thank you very much Neil :)

• Emanuel Rodríguez
  • Robustiana.com
More
11 years 6 months ago #61336 by Emanuel Rodríguez
Replied by Emanuel Rodríguez on topic Re: K2 SEO issue - Can it be fixed?
What about adding this lines to robots.txt file....

Disallow: /tag/
Disallow: /blog/
Disallow: /search/

At least you are blocking some duplicate urls from indexing.... I think....

Robustiana.com ... Tutoriales, guías de uso y resolución de problemas en Joomla! y K2

More
11 years 6 months ago #61337 by Neil Forrester
Hi Passy,

I believe the reason your URL shows component/k2 etc is because you don't have any menu items linking to those categories.

Try making a hidden menu item that links to the blog category. Hopefully that will fix up the issue.

Plus, when you create the K2 Content module to pull in the information - select the relevant category eg: blog. That might get rid of component in the URL.

Otherwise I'm not sure really as it depends on how you might have set up your site.

One thing you should know though is that your site takes quite a while to load in.

Cheers,
Neil.

More
11 years 4 months ago #61338 by Barry Seward
Replied by Barry Seward on topic Re: K2 SEO issue - Can it be fixed?
Neil,

I had the same issue as Passy and was pulling my hair out. Creating a menu worked like a charm! Thanks

More
11 years 3 months ago #61339 by Myorai
Replied by Myorai on topic Re: K2 SEO issue - Can it be fixed?

yaksushi wrote:

Peter wrote: Hey has the duplicate url issue discussed in the fist post (7 months ago) been resolved, because if it hasn't why is Admin telling us to get sh404sef ?

I have been building my site for months now using K2 and today - when I almost finished - to my surprise I realized that K2 has been building a lot of duplicated URLs. The guys over at anything-digital said that it's a K2 issue and not a sh404SEF issue, which is cleary true.

First the damn tags are producing a duplicated URL every time an article has been posted with already an existend tag. This describes it pretty well.

This issue is not new to K2, related threads has been posted in the past with not so useful solutions.

It seems to me sh404sef developers blame k2, who blame Joomla in the meantime nothing changes, it seems the ball is squarely in k2's court, why not get together with anythingdigital to make & sell a plugin that works gets rid of this duplicate content problem once & for all instead of passing the buck.. The way i see it it's in every bodies best interest to get this sorted.

Peter I 100% agree! I'm still waiting on a solution to this issue.

I must agree as well.

I will be happy to pay for a solution to this problem - as K2 is the best CCK i know for Joomla, but afcourse with this SEO problem t's not possible to use on sites that actually want to have alot of traffic.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 3 months ago #61340 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: K2 SEO issue - Can it be fixed?
Hello there,

K2 uses the default Joomla! router for its URLs.
You have two options either use Joomla!'s default router, map your content in menu items and try K2's advanved SEF (Read this blog post. getk2.org/blog/1169-k2-v265-released)

If you are still having issues with duplicate content you can always develop or use a canonical tag K2 plugin.
This way even if you have similar content it two pages Google will always 'look at' the original content and disregard any other URLs.

The second option is to bypass and not use Joomla!'s router altogether. For this solution you will need an SEO extension (it has already been stated in this thread) and use the extension's router to handle all URLs, canonical tags and 301 redirects. Make sure though your SEO/SEF extension supports K2 or has a K2 integration. From that point it is up to extension to have clean urls and good SEO.

I have personally tried both solutions (even a hybrid one) and I have to say both worked in production sites with a lot of traffic.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
11 years 1 month ago #61341 by Roy
Replied by Roy on topic Re: K2 SEO issue - Can it be fixed?
Hi Friend,
I am using Joomla Voxel responsive version. I am facing an issue with the URL. URLs are coming with item number. Secondly, each URL has two titles - 1) one is without ITEM number, and 2) One is without ITEM number.

For example:

In below URL, "sustainability-and-bim" is mentioned twice - one is without item number (40) and one is with ITEM number (40).

www.architecturalevangelist.com/building-information-modeling/sustainability-and-bim/40-sustainability-and-bim.html

While the DESIRED URL should be www.architecturalevangelist.com/building-information-modeling/sustainability-and-bim.

Currently Google is indexing a single URL three times like:

a) www.architecturalevangelist.com/building-information-modeling/sustainability-and-bim/40-sustainability-and-bim.html

b) www.architecturalevangelist.com/building-information-modeling/sustainability-and-bim/40-sustainability-and-bim.html

c) www.architecturalevangelist.com/building-information-modeling/40-sustainability-and-bim.html

Please help me how to fix these issues.

Looking forward to your help.