Keyword

Notification of new comments by email

• dirk80
  • dirk80's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 1 month ago #72062 by dirk80
Hi!

I am using the comments with k2 and enable the approved option for them. But I don't want to watch out for new comments every day. Is it possible to set up an email notification for new comments?

Thx.
Dirk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #72063 by Mike C
Replied by Mike C on topic Notification of new comments by email
I also have the same question. Would like to be notified of new comments on items. Please let us know, thanks!

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #72064 by Mizael FAUCON
Replied by Mizael FAUCON on topic Notification of new comments by email
So do I. And an option to get the author of a previous comment receive an e-mail when a new comment is posted

• Kurniawan Subiantoro
More
14 years 11 months ago #72065 by Kurniawan Subiantoro
Replied by Kurniawan Subiantoro on topic Notification of new comments by email
i'm looking for this to..

More
14 years 11 months ago #72066 by Jason Edwards
Replied by Jason Edwards on topic Notification of new comments by email
Yes, this would be a nice feature to have. I actually have it set to auto publish off so unless I go into the admin tool I do not know if there is a comment there.

• Zonegig Design, LLC
More
14 years 9 months ago #72067 by Zonegig Design, LLC
Replied by Zonegig Design, LLC on topic Notification of new comments by email
John, this is a great solution. One question, does the option to auto-publish have to be turned off. What about notification that a comment has been published if auto-publish is turned on. Basically, just a notification that a comment has been published. It would be nice to have the option.

I hope this is not asking too much.

More
14 years 9 months ago #72068 by Mike C
Replied by Mike C on topic Notification of new comments by email
Hi John,
I'm trying your code modification and it works as I did receive an email notification for new comment awaiting approval.

However, in the email notification, under === Contributor ===, it's showing the email address that I entered in the config for where to send this notification email. I was expecting to see the email address of the person leaving the comment.

Also, probably not necessary but you could also include the title of the item for which the comment was added. If it's not easy to do that, don't worry about it as all we have to do is go into the comments admin and quickly filter the unpublished comments.

Mike

• Zonegig Design, LLC
More
14 years 9 months ago #72069 by Zonegig Design, LLC
Replied by Zonegig Design, LLC on topic Notification of new comments by email
John, I noticed that also. That the email that was supposed to show the commenter actually shows the email that was entered into the K2 Parameters.

Mike C said:Hi John, I'm trying your code modification and it works as I did receive an email notification for new comment awaiting approval.

However, in the email notification, under === Contributor ===, it's showing the email address that I entered in the config for where to send this notification email. I was expecting to see the email address of the person leaving the comment.

Also, probably not necessary but you could also include the title of the item for which the comment was added. If it's not easy to do that, don't worry about it as all we have to do is go into the comments admin and quickly filter the unpublished comments.

Mike

More
14 years 9 months ago #72070 by Annie Jackson
Replied by Annie Jackson on topic Notification of new comments by email
John is there any way for the author of the article to receive notifications also? I have 10 authors on my site and currently I can not find a comment system which notifies them by default that they have new comments which means there are many articles with comments from users and no replies from the author. JComments claims this is in an upcoming version but I read that 2 months ago and there are no indications of when that new version will be. If K2 can do this I will convert the whole site just for this feature.

John Hooley said:Okay guys, I've added a little bit more to the modifications and fixed the error with the submitter's email. It will now send an email --if there is an email entered in the parameters field-- that will either notify of a new comment that has been added or one that needs to be reviewed. It also includes the title of the item that was commented.
I changed the file location so that people will download the latest version:

bluebridgedev.com/files/k2CommentsMod.zip

The directions are the same. If you're just updating from the last change, you need only switch out item.php.

One thing I forgot to mention before, I make use of the private keyword which is available only in PHP 5+. PHP 4 users will need to remove it from the function definitions or it will cause errors.

I've also given the snippet it's own page on my site:

bluebridgedev.com/code-snippets

More
14 years 9 months ago #72071 by September Coll
Replied by September Coll on topic Notification of new comments by email
Good evening. I have just been using Joomla for a very short time. I am NOT the MAIN administrator. However I am being trained to take that position. Currently I am working on JComment - I am using the current version. I CANNOT find where to enable the option to send ALL REGISTERED users that a new comment has been posted. This is for a Prayer Request comments. I don't want the congregation to have to actually go to the site just to find out that there have been new posts or replys.

John Hooley said:Hey Everybody,I made some small modifications to two files in the K2 structure to accomplish this. It adds a field to the comments area of the K2 Parameters, "New comment notification email." When a new comment is added and needs to be approved, it will send an email to that address with the email of the person commenting and the comment.Instructions:1. Download the zip at bluebridgedev.com/files/k2modelMod.zip and extract config.xml and item.php2. Back-up and replace the following files:yourwebsiteroot/administrator/components/com_k2/config.xmlyourwebsiteroot/components/com_k2/models/item.php3. Login to your site's backend and go to the K2 component.4. Select parameters from the toolbar.5. Scroll down to the comments section and enter the email address to be notified.6. Test!The areas modified from the old files:-New line added at 162 of config.xml-New line on 651 of item.php and three new functions from 657 to 688Hope this helps,John