Keyword

Notification of new comments by email

More
14 years 8 months ago #72082 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic Notification of new comments by email
Hi Omar,

Sounds great, well done.

I am actually taking the weekend off, the first since before Christmas, so will take a look at this next week.
If OK with you, I will also update the write up on K2Joom and also make available the same file.
Also, I will provide another help file and a changelog in it too.

Speak soon.

Omar Ramos said:I noticed after applying this that the My Account page was no longer showing the Bio and Avatar upload fields. It took me a while to figure it out but I realized that the config.xml in K2Joom's ZIP file is missing some new parameters available in 2.2 so I've updated the config.xml file in the attached zip file and things should work properly now (you may have to go into K2's backend area and check to see that the "Item Extra Fields" parameter is set to show and resave your K2 config in order for the Bio/Avatar fields to begin showing up again on the My Account Page.
Omar Ramos said:Hey guys, Yesterday afternoon I was rereading this thread and noticed that nobody had really answered the question about author notifications or notifications for reply to a post so I added in that functionality (I took K2Joom's latest 1.1 file and added the additional methods required).

In trying to test this I also across another issue where a user that is assigned to a few specific categories is then unable to comment in other categories (for permissions it's more likely that you want them to only create/edit items in those categories but you don't necessarily want to limit users to only adding comments in those few categories) so I also added the option in backend user group creation for a "Post to All Categories" permission and have included it in the zip file attached.

More on that particular issue can be found here:

The notifications for authors and commenters (and the admin notification) all seem to be working well on my end.

K2Joom said:Hi Mike, The changes to the xml is just to setup what is displayed in the k2 parameters. For item.php, there are many changes but for test purposes, we did a straight like for like swap of these two files, exactly as previously mentioned. I just checked the files on the server and we are running to V2.1 version then posted a commented and it was mailed.
I then exchanged it for the v2.2, posted a comment and no notification.

I have updated the V2.2 file with the auto notification and have tested it this morning.
Attached is the zip with the 2 new files and a help file.

Let me know how you get on.

Mike C said:Hi Simon, how did you test it? You can't just overwrite item.php and config.xml because there's a lot of stuff that changed between versions 2.1 and 2.2. In other words, how did you move the notification code fragments from the old to the new without messing up the versions of those files?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #72083 by piperchick
Replied by piperchick on topic Notification of new comments by email
Thanks for this Omar. I was struggling with the same issue.

The front-end form appears ok, but I can't actually get it to save any changes, but I can save from the back-end. Any ideas?

Thanks for sharing.

Omar Ramos said:I noticed after applying this that the My Account page was no longer showing the Bio and Avatar upload fields. It took me a while to figure it out but I realized that the config.xml in K2Joom's ZIP file is missing some new parameters available in 2.2 so I've updated the config.xml file in the attached zip file and things should work properly now (you may have to go into K2's backend area and check to see that the "Item Extra Fields" parameter is set to show and resave your K2 config in order for the Bio/Avatar fields to begin showing up again on the My Account Page.

More
14 years 8 months ago #72084 by shazzmere
Replied by shazzmere on topic Notification of new comments by email
Awesome. This was exactly what I was looking for.

September Coll said:Good evening. I have just been using Joomla for a very short time. I am NOT the MAIN administrator. However I am being trained to take that position. Currently I am working on JComment - I am using the current version. I CANNOT find where to enable the option to send ALL REGISTERED users that a new comment has been posted. This is for a Prayer Request comments. I don't want the congregation to have to actually go to the site just to find out that there have been new posts or replys. John Hooley said:Hey Everybody,I made some small modifications to two files in the K2 structure to accomplish this. It adds a field to the comments area of the K2 Parameters, "New comment notification email." When a new comment is added and needs to be approved, it will send an email to that address with the email of the person commenting and the comment.Instructions:1. Download the zip at bluebridgedev.com/files/k2modelMod.zip and extract config.xml and item.php2. Back-up and replace the following files:yourwebsiteroot/administrator/components/com_k2/config.xmlyourwebsiteroot/components/com_k2/models/item.php3. Login to your site's backend and go to the K2 component.4. Select parameters from the toolbar.5. Scroll down to the comments section and enter the email address to be notified.6. Test!The areas modified from the old files:-New line added at 162 of config.xml-New line on 651 of item.php and three new functions from 657 to 688Hope this helps,John

More
14 years 7 months ago #72085 by piperchick
Hi Omar,

Thanks for this. I can see the bio and avatar but I can't actually save any changes to them. Can you?

Thanks.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72086 by piperchick
Nevermind -- I figured it out.

I had a template over-ride that was misbehaving. I replaced that and now all is good.

Thanks!

piperchick said:Hi Omar,
Thanks for this. I can see the bio and avatar but I can't actually save any changes to them. Can you?

Thanks.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72087 by Annie Jackson
Replied by Annie Jackson on topic Notification of new comments by email
I've been trying to follow the replies in this thread but I'm a bit lost.

Can someone tell me please...is the solution that has been posted to notify you about all comments or only to notify you about replies to your own articles? I really want to use K2 but without author notification of comments on THEIR articles only, I can not use it.

More
14 years 5 months ago #72088 by Jennifer Mladucky
Replied by Jennifer Mladucky on topic Notification of new comments by email
I tried this modification, but after testing it several times, I am not receiving notification emails. Any suggestions?

More
14 years 3 months ago #72089 by trip
Replied by trip on topic Notification of new comments by email
Hi All
has anyone package this file with a link that is available. Simons website does not have the download due to hosting issues.

It would be great to post here so we can download

Matthew

More
14 years 2 months ago #72090 by Jarred de Beer
Replied by Jarred de Beer on topic Notification of new comments by email
Hi there,

We were wondering if people who made comments were able to receive email notifications that there had been a reply to their comment?

Don't mean to over complicate things, it was just a request we had recently.

Thanks,
Jarred

More
14 years 2 months ago #72091 by Jiliko.net
Replied by Jiliko.net on topic Notification of new comments by email
Hi everyone,

Simon & me are preparing the K2 Multi Notify extension :

- Frontend subscription to Categories, user's blogs & item comments
- Global configuration & per category, blog & item configuration
- Backend views for subscriptions & notifications sent
- Comment waiting approval & comment approved notifications
- NO K2 HACKING !!!

Pre-version already installed on Simon's websites : www.k2joom.com & simon.getk2.org

We'll add a blog on k2 community and on our respective websites this week.

Olivier Nolbert
www.jiliko.net

Jarred de Beer said:Hi there,
We were wondering if people who made comments were able to receive email notifications that there had been a reply to their comment?

Don't mean to over complicate things, it was just a request we had recently.

Thanks,
Jarred